Dillon a Bengal in 05' ?

Jonboat

At least give him a healthy year back in the league before you tell me his is washed up.... HE IS ONLY 29 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how old is rudi?? 26???? will he be washed up in 3 years????

Those totals add up to 423 yards, devide that by 6 and thats 70.5 yards a game......times that by 16 and you get 1128 yards, thats even splitting the carries with rudi...I think I would like to have two guys rush for 1000 yards in a season...what about you?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Dillon was that great before hand anyway. Look at it this way, and remove the two days in seven years where he had pretty good days (246, 278 is what I'm referring to). The defense always let up early scores. Well football logic suggests when you're down early, you have to pass to score quickly. But the Bengals fool everyone by running Dillon left, and right against a nickle -- sometimes -- dime defenses.. with that scenario, he's of course going to have good rushing days. Moreso, he's not very versititle -- always has to use power rather than using cutback lanes -- horrible hands so he's not an every down back and a horrible blocker. Just because he can run over people doesn't mean he's a good RB.

Hell, if there's a hole somewhere on the line, I'm sure anyone of us can go through it. Now walking back to the huddle, that may be another story. :lol:

Man, it's funny how all of our problems go right back to defense... humm.. :lol:

Those totals add up to 423 yards, devide that by 6 and thats 70.5 yards a game......times that by 16 and you get 1128 yards, thats even splitting the carries with rudi...I think I would like to have two guys rush for 1000 yards in a season...what about you?

1,000 yard seasons are over-rated for Running backs. It tells you nothing. It's 62.5 yards per game and if one of our RB has only 62 yards, I'm sure all of us are disappointed.

BTW - Dillon only averages six TDs per season. Rudi in his first full season had 9. I think that's a more important stat honestly.

Kirk, Rudi's testament to 9 td's in his first year to start, would still be eclipsed by the 10 he put up in his rookie year.

-- also- Dillon has averaged about 5 100 yard games a season , before last year. So that pretty much takes care of the 62.5 stuff.

Also, he did it facing 8- 9 man fronts. No Nickle coverages. As a matter of fact I can't remember any other time in his career that he actually had a working passing game ,that forced defenses to stay honest except for his rookie year.

- - But through it all, he still produced. He's one of only 4 men in nfl history to rush for a 1000 yards in his first 6 seasons.The highest rated defense he's played with was the # 9 th ranked defense in the 2001 season. But Kitna struggled all year, and Achilles Smith was hurt !

-- 2002 saw basically the same thing, as Kitna struggled to get on the same page as the receivers and the defense got worse.

- -34 wins in 7 seasons ,is hardly his fault. How many wins did Barry Sanders lead the Lions to..? He only went to the playoffs like 2 times in his 10 year career. He didn't even go the year he ran for more than 2000.

Also, Marvin was appauled to find out that only 13 picks remain from the last 7 drafts... 25 % . -- which means Dillon has been working with 75% less help.

Chrish, and to add to your post:

When Corey Dillon carried the ball over 25 times, the Bungles won something like 90% of their games.

Good Point about the 8-9 man fronts.

I think most of these guys that are posting bad s**t about Dillon are swayed because of Dillon's horrid attitude.

Guys, Dillon's attitude may suck, but he runs harder than anybody in the league.

I was waiting for you Chris. :lol: Let me counter-point.

Kirk, Rudi's testament to 9 td's in his first year to start, would still be eclipsed by the 10 he put up in his rookie year.

I think this is signifant because Rudi did it in less games and in less carries. If all things being equal, Rudi would have had more.

also- Dillon has averaged about 5 100 yard games a season , before last year. So that pretty much takes care of the 62.5 stuff. Also, he did it facing 8- 9 man fronts. No Nickle coverages. As a matter of fact I can't remember any other time in his career that he actually had a working passing game ,that forced defenses to stay honest except for his rookie year.

I disagree. The only times when defenses would come up was when Akili Smith was the QB. In '98 O'Donnell had a 90+ QB rating which included a 15 to 4 TD to INT ratio and Blake had a semi-decent season in '99.

34 wins in 7 seasons ,is hardly his fault. How many wins did Barry Sanders lead the Lions to..? He only went to the playoffs like 2 times in his 10 year career. He didn't even go the year he ran for more than 2000.

This is why I don't think highly of Barry Sanders. Sure he was fun to watch, and he performed well, but he never helped his team win. Give me someone like a Jamal Lewis (yes, I said it) who actually turns the tides for his team. Give me an Emmitt Smith that sets records for most TDs in a season. Forget Sanders, forget James, Holmes, and Dillon.

I truly have been a fan of the player that contributes to a team to a win rather than a team that contributes to a player for his stats. I guess that's why I'm a little biased on that argument.

2002 saw basically the same thing, as Kitna struggled to get on the same page as the receivers and the defense got worse.

The 2002 Bengals were doomed from the beginning and I believe Kitna takes too much blame for this. He came into the season already demoted to #2 after Fartnot (that's a cheap Frerotte slam, good eh?) signed. Kitna then came into the game against Atl in week 3, forced to sit in week 4 because LeBeau wanted to give Akili a start and then Kitna finally started the season out. There was too much instability during that time and was half the argument against Mike Brown asking him to get a GM or a Head Coach outside the system -- one for two isn't bad. I would just assume to write the 2002 out of the Bengals history book myself, that was really an embarrassing season.

Also, Marvin was appauled to find out that only 13 picks remain from the last 7 drafts... 25 % . -- which means Dillon has been working with 75% less help.

But he can run through people, run through 11 man fronts, stiff arm like no other. :D Smart ass aside, I agree but I blame the serious lack of drafting quality players. The guys they've drafted were very questionable if not poor. Being the draft guru you are, you have to agree with this.

When Corey Dillon carried the ball over 25 times, the Bungles won something like 90% of their games.

Guys, Dillon's attitude may suck, but he runs harder than anybody in the league.

When Corey runs 25 times or more, and that was 13 times in his career, the Bengals (not the Bungles as you've called them) are 9-4 -- someone may need to varify my research.

More so, when Dillon ran for 100 yards in a game, which was 28 times, the Bengals are 13-15.

Some of you guys love to debate me I swear.. :lol: , That's good though .....

Okay..Kirk, My Rebuttal I guess :rolleyes:

1. The amount of starts in Dillon's rookie year, and Rudi's third , are very comparable. Cincy' didn't let Dillon start until After the Broncos' game where he finally got to show hi stuff, and coincidentally KiJana Carters' only 100 yard game.

2. O'donnell and Blake in the '98 and '99 seasons were considered nothing but cast-offs.. I would have agreed here, if Dillon could have played when Blake/Pickens/Scott/and McGee had put up some good numbers in the '95 and '96 seasons.

3. Barry Sanders is the consumate professional. He was a great player , and should have been dealt better with by the Lions.He had to put up with poor ownership, and a plethra of bad players.Remember Scott Mitchell was his starting quarterback for 4 of his 10 seasons.

4. The '02 season was a joke, the minute Lebeau didn't hand the reigns over to Akili. Akili looked the best that preseason, and it was the only time I thought he played to win the job.

5. You're basically agreeing with me here...The fact that CD has been running through people, and cuts back well ( i.e. the last game in Riverfront against the Browns, and the 278 yard game against the Broncos and I could go on.) --- and has a great stiff arm is hint to what he could've done if the Bengals would have drafted Better.. Dillon should have gotten his 2000 yard season,by now, but he has played behind some porous offensive lines. You do remember Rod Jones starting at left tackle don't you..??

* BONUS *

Walter Payton played on some very dismal teams during the 70's. and for a long time was the only bright spot on their team.

His overall Wins and losses are in the negative as well, Does this mean he wasn't that good either..?? :blink:

Walter Payton played on some very dismal teams during the 70's. and for a long time was the only bright spot on their team.

His overall Wins and losses are in the negative as well, Does this mean he wasn't that good either..?? :blink:

What did he win during the '85 season?

Man, we could go on all-night. :D

His overall Wins and losses are in the negative as well, Does this mean he wasn't that good either..??

That pretty much sums it up right there I think.

Would all you guys be saying he is washed up if he came out tomorrow and said he was sorry for everything, and that he wanted to follow ML to the Lambardi Trophy? I dont think so, I think everyone here would be STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but then again, thats just my retarded opinion....lol

"back to being bored at work....lol"

There is a reason Barry Sanders and Corey Dillon had trouble winning games. Neither of them were consistent runners. I've often seen statistics showing a large percentage of Sanders' plays were for negative yards. However, he often broke big runs, which is why his yardage totals were so high.

Similarly, Dillon often led the league in carries for a loss. But like Sanders, he was adept at getting long gains for 8, 9, or 20 yards.

Why is this important? The running game is not supposed to be your big play offense. A good gain on a run is about 5 or 6 yards, whereas a short gain on a pass is 5 or 6 yards. A good running game is supposed to eat up clock, keep the other team off the field, and set up the pass.

Since Dillon was tackled for a loss so many times, our team was forced into many passing situations. We always had crappy qb's, so this was a recipe for disaster. Further, even if we had the lead, Dillon could not be relied upon to eat clock and keep the lead.

Rudi, on the other hand, runs straight ahead. He does eat up clock, and as the San Francisco and Kansas City games show, he can keep a lead all by himself. With him in the game, we have a better chance to win.

Would all you guys be saying he is washed up if he came out tomorrow and said he was sorry for everything, and that he wanted to follow ML to the Lambardi Trophy? I dont think so, I think everyone here would be STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well if we won the Super Bowl, a ton of things would be different so I think that's too complexed of a discussion to have, at least right now. :D

However, compare Dillon's situation and Ty Law's situation. Both are demanding trades via the media, but Law has two rings. I'd actually like to know what the general feeling is with Law right now. Either way, it's a great comparison though.

Like my Dad used to say: You can put all the mustard,onions, and pickles on a s**t sandwich but it's still a s**t sandwich. :lol:

I like that. My vote for quote of the year.

I think there's a definite gray area with the Dillon situation. He's a prick, I think we all agree.

As to excuses as to why he's acted like a prick...I think he deserved to be upset with the way he got bumped for Rudi. Against Cleveland and St. Louis, he was running well last year but still didn't stick because they had to get carries for Rudi. I see why he was upset. But, that in no way excuses the f'd up attitude he's had.

I agree with Kirk that 1000 means nothing. These days, 1500 yards is an accomplishment to shoot for. As far as blaming our losing on Dillon? Can't see it. Same as you can't say it for Sanders.

Emmitt Smith...tons of other weapons on offense, great line and a strong defense.

Jamal Lewis...no offense around him but a great line in front of him, and the defense was outstanding and he only helped them to a first round loss in the playoffs.

Sanders...okay, he had Herman Moore, but no QB, no Offensive Line and no defense this side of Chris Spielman.

If Dillon changes attitude, I'd love to watch him run next year. Rudi might be the better back, but after only one year you can't compare. Until proven otherwise Dillon (jerk-off though he may be) has proven himself as a better back.

That said, I don't put him in a class with Sanders, Brown and Payton quite yet. He's not even Curtis Martin right now.

I think there is enough leadership on this team that we can keep Dillon and he will show up, shut his mouth and do what the coaching staff asks of him. If that means 5 carries a game spelling Rudi when he gets tired, so be it. That would be better than Kenny Watson or Skip Hicks. Then maybe if he can get something done next year, it won't be so hard to get a first day pick for him.

Releasing him would send the signal to all the other players on the team that the way to get what you want is to run your mouth on Fox sports.

That said, I still think the Raiders will pony up a third rounder and we can ship him out of town.

For all you delusional people who see Dillon in Stripes next season, let me make it crystal clear for you.

You DON'T chuck your uniform into the stands, then go on national T.V. and bad mouth your coach, teamates, etcetera, and return to that team and play with your heart in it!! It just doesn't happen.

One way or another Corey WILL be gone before training camp opens!! Sheese! <_< Wake up, smell the coffee, put down the bottle and the crack pipe...whatever it takes!! It AIN'T gonna happen!! B)