'Invincible' review

Dan2330

I believe the game was from 1978 last game of the season and Bengals beat Eagles 31-0. This was the opening of the movie as the crowd at Veteran's Stadium booed the Eagles off the field. Kind of cool to see the opening featuring the Bengals (old uniforms and all).

Overall film was pretty good (3 stars). Pumped for the football season for sure now after seeing the movie!

I believe the game was from 1978 last game of the season and Bengals beat Eagles 31-0. This was the opening of the movie as the crowd at Veteran's Stadium booed the Eagles off the field. Kind of cool to see the opening featuring the Bengals (old uniforms and all).

Overall film was pretty good (3 stars). Pumped for the football season for sure now after seeing the movie!

They open the movie with the last game of Vince Papale's career?

Living in the Philly market for many years, I'd heard this guy's story years back. The joke was that this guy sucked so bad, the Eagles weren't going to win squat until he was cut. And that turned out to be true.

I'm thinking there's got to be some major rewriting of history to squeeze a movie out of this guy's story...

Everyone and philly hates on there teams unless they winn the big one. The question is did you get a different story? Mark Walburg is on Rome talking about the movie.

Well I'm a Giants fan, so I've got extra reason to hate the Eagles. Living in the Philly market for a while didn't do anything to help it either.

The Eagles in that time period had a lot of difficulties. Hopefully I've got my story right since I'm getting this all 2nd hand, it was before my time, but I recall something about the team ownership having gambling debts, and Dick Vermeil barely having the resources to field a full team. I think thats how Papale found himself in the NFL - as a replacement player more or less. It was a fun story at the time, a regular guy in the NFL, but he also became a symbol, through no fault of his own, for what was wrong with the team in those days.

The fact that Vermeil got that team to the Super Bowl at all, a losing effort in 1980 (two years after Papale's career ended - I hope they don't queer it up and put him on the Super Bowl team), is considered an incredible acheivement. He did it with subpar talent, and was burned out shortly thereafter.

Everyone and philly hates on there teams unless they winn the big one. The question is did you get a different story? Mark Walburg is on Rome talking about the movie.

Well I'm a Giants fan, so I've got extra reason to hate the Eagles. Living in the Philly market for a while didn't do anything to help it either.

The Eagles in that time period had a lot of difficulties. Hopefully I've got my story right since I'm getting this all 2nd hand, it was before my time, but I recall something about the team ownership having gambling debts, and Dick Vermeil barely having the resources to field a full team. I think thats how Papale found himself in the NFL - as a replacement player more or less. It was a fun story at the time, a regular guy in the NFL, but he also became a symbol, through no fault of his own, for what was wrong with the team in those days.

The fact that Vermeil got that team to the Super Bowl at all, a losing effort in 1980 (two years after Papale's career ended - I hope they don't queer it up and put him on the Super Bowl team), is considered an incredible acheivement. He did it with subpar talent, and was burned out shortly thereafter.

I'm not real sure but I think Papale was in his thirties when he tried out so his career wouldn't have lasted real long anyways. I watched a documentary about it a couple of years ago and thought it was very inspiring.