WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT THE RB SITUATION

BENGALTHEM

I don't think RJ is going to be a one year wonder for one. Two, are we forgetting that we might get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Dillion near draft time. That would give us a pick to take a decent running back.

Kenny Watson would be a backup runner right now. He has shown that he can run if given the chance just like RJ did last year. Give any rb some confidence and you never know what you are going to get.

Hopefully, the bengals take a DT first, CB second, OL third, then maybe a RB. Remember we might have another draft pick if we trade Dillion which would open some doors

Something I would like to say about Jerome Bettis , is that Jeremi Johnson doesn't have the ability to run like Bettis.

---For what Bettis has been able to do in his career, at his size shows that he's a unique player .He combines size, quickness, and incredible balance mixed with a lot power. He's a tailback in a fullbacks' body.But his greatest asset isn't his girth, it's his feet.

---His ability to plant , and redirect all the while he's 260 lbs or more is the real testament to how good of a running back he is,and was. *Jeremi Johnson doesn't have those type of feet,at least I haven't seen it. Nick Luchey may have had it, but I think he fought his weight more than his athleticism controlled it as in the case of Bettis.

---Ickey Woods on the other hand.. He was just a prelude to modern day running backs. Woods was 6-1 230 lbs... That sounds very similiar to Corey Dillons' 6'1.5 -and 225.

* leave it to the Cincinnati Bengals to start the next trend in great running backs. :rolleyes:

His ability to plant , and redirect all the while he's 260 lbs or more is the real testament to how good of a running back he is,and was. *Jeremi Johnson doesn't have those type of feet,at least I haven't seen it.

Actually, he does; it was one of his strengths coming out of college. see http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/395374 I'd argue that he simply hasn't had the opportunity to really showcase his skills; he's been employed more in a blocking role and as an occasional receiving threat. But as you can see from his college record, he's a guy who can produce very nice yardage on only a handful of carries (he had a 5.5 yard average per carry overall), which in my mind makes him the perfect guy to spell Rudi. Unlike Rudi (and CD) he doesn't appear to be the kind of back who needs to get "warmed up" first. He seems ready to go at a moment's notice.

The one question I do have is how good a pass protector is he? If they start inserting him to spell Rudi, not every play can be a run or you're just telegraphing the play to the opposition. You have to mix in a pass here and there to keep the d honest. So can he pick up a blitz? His size and relative quickness would seem to make him a pretty formidable obstacle, but I don't know the answer to the question.

All good comments, I just think JJ should stick to becoming a great run blocker, ala Lorenzo Neal. Maybe give him the ball 3 to 5 times a game. Watson is a decent backup. But like I said before, we need at least one quality back to help with the depth, just in case Rudi gets hurt, or he is a one hit wonder.

If we get a 3rd and a 5th for Dillion, and another 3rd for Spikes, I think that the depth at the RB position should be adressed, if a good rb is available. I am not saying we should reach on a pick to fill a position. But if Marvin Lewis and company rates the players across the board, and a good Rb is available we should take him.

Excuse me but why on EARTH would you waste a 1st round pick on a running back? Take a look at the GREAT backs in this league and ask yourself how many of them were 1st day picks....

Stephen Davis - 4th round pick by Washington

Ahman Green - Late Round 3

Curtis Martin - Round 3

Priest Holmes - UNDRAFTED

Duce Staley - Round 3

Give Hicks and the other guys a chance to show what they can do. A LOT of running backs don't pan out for their first teams (Holmes, Green) and do great later.

• 1 month later...
I need some feedback on the rb situation. So Rudi is the starter, Brandon Bennett went to the Bucs, and Dillion is most likely gone. What are we going to do about the depth at this position. I liked what Ray Jackson did in the preseason, I have never liked Skipp Hicks. Are we going to pick one up in FA or Draft a rb? If we could somehow get Perry from Michigan, that would be nice. Or even the Rb back from West Virginia.

I was right! :D