Big Ben wrecks/gets released/admits his mistake

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reporters are quoting the doctors that he is in serious but stable condition. Also they report that he is in operation. don't know what that means but this could be very serious or just minor cuts that need stitched up.

A coworker mentioned that WLW radio said he has a broken jaw.

I hope he's okay, but I kinda want him to have to sit out a season, just to make the steeler fans sick!

Hey, if the league can force him to wear a helmet during the game, the government can sure force him to wear one while driving a vehicle that just begs for accidents..

Couldn't happen to a bigger asshat! You bragged last year when Winslow was hurt that you don't wear a helmet. You were proud to be in a state that let you ride without one, and flaunted the league's inability to force you to do so. Now you got hurt! Kudos!

Also, even if he knew his name and was trying to get up and SEEMED alert after the initial accident, that doesn't mean his spleen wasn't ruptured, his kidney wasn't disected, or his ribs broken. Initially after a trauma, you may be more alert temporarily than you should seem to be.

The team that pays him agrees to said rules handed down by the NFL. THe govt does enough. Leave it to the person riding a bike to be smart or not.

In this case, not smart.

Are idiot clauses banned by the new CBA too, or was that just behavior?

seriously no one should be cheering it. thats just low class. hope he will be able to live.

It's low class to be cheering because a guy who said "I'm superman, I don't need to wear a helmet. It's not taking a risk to not wear one, I've never been in an accident before" finally got his?

The dude laughed about Winslow. Well, it's his turn, and I'm laughing at him.

What is low class is to think you are above everyone else. What is low class is to believe that you can take risks because as a professional athlete you are somehow better than other mere mortals. Earth meet Ben. Ben meet pavement. Cya! I hope you'll survive, but I hope you are hurt so bad that you end up flipping burgers at one of Big Willie's Fatburger joints because maybe then you'll learn something. If he comes out of this and doesn't lose anything but time and a little pain, he won't learn a damned thing.

i wont deny that it was stupid of him to not wear a helmet, but cheering for anyone to be hurt isnt classy, like those steelers fan that did when carson went down. its just something thats bad news. its karma though and karma is a bitch sometimes :sure:

I just hope he is doing fine and I wish his family the best. They live(d) close to my home town and I knew of them. They were very down to earth people...until Ben made it big and launched himself into orbit. I am glad to see he made it back to earth, just wish it wouldn't have been meeting a car with his head.

OK, football and the Bengals/Steelers rivalry aside, I'll admit it: I don't feel sorry for Roethlisberger because he CHOSE not to wear a helmet. The same way I don't feel sorry for someone who dies because of lung cancer when they were sucking on cigarettes two packs at a time per day for 20 years. His family, yes, I feel sorry for them because his action, or lack thereof in this case, can/will affect them if his head all of the sudden turns to something resembling the Campbell's Chunky Soup he was about to endorse. I'm not happy about this or cheering because it happened, just holding the only person responsible for it accountable. Everyone here knows riding a motorcycle with a helmet is risky and dangerous enough. If he takes away the brain bucket because he doesn't like the way it feels (or insert your own ridiculous excuse here) then, sorry, he runs the risk of this exact thing, or worse, happening to him with no one else to blame. The fact is this probably would have been a minor accident had he taken the 20 seconds and done what any other sane person should do and protect himself from a head injury.

The fact is this probably would have been a minor accident had he taken the 20 seconds and done what any other sane person should do and protect himself from a head injury.

Actually, i hear he has suffered extensive damage to his knees as well though im not sure how much. Your body does some crazy things when 1/2 ton metal objects hit it.

Broken sinus cavity, jaw, bad laceration on the back of his head, missing a bunch of teeth, and supposably both knees damaged (broken caps?).

He is in surgery. That's what I've heard, not sure how true the above is, but he is in surgery, or was - and that's never good.

I'm sure he'll be fine eventually - and hope he is. But you have to wonder about how long he'll take to recover from all those broken bones - could be a year or so like Winslow depending.

Anyone who chooses to make light of this is an idiot.

Having rode a motorcycle for years, and giving it up when I started having children, I got to believe that his body is badly banged up. Awesome forces involved, going over the handle bars head first, then coming to a stop instantly upon impact. I flipped my bike the first day I had it, going all of a few miles and hour. Twisted the throttle to much on a incline. Threw me off, landed on my fulling helmented head. The helment had deep divots, scars, and scrathes. Based upon I've heard so far, I think Big Ben's 2006 season just ended.

I feel for the guy, but he was stone cold stupid for not wearing head protecting, including a thick leather jacket for his torso.

Broken sinus cavity, jaw, bad laceration on the back of his head, missing a bunch of teeth, and supposably both knees damaged (broken caps?).

He is in surgery. That's what I've heard, not sure how true the above is, but he is in surgery, or was - and that's never good.

I'm sure he'll be fine eventually - and hope he is. But you have to wonder about how long he'll take to recover from all those broken bones - could be a year or so like Winslow depending.

Anyone who chooses to make light of this is an idiot.

BIG BEN NOT SO LUCKY AFTER ALL?

Minutes after we learned from a solid and credible league source that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not expected to have any serious injuries after suffering a motorcycle accident on Monday morning, we were alerted to reports that Roethlisberger has suffered "serious" injuries to both of his knees.

Per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which broke the story of the accident minutes after it happened, Roethlisberger has fractured his left sinus cavity bone, sustained a nine-inch gash to the back of his head, suffered injuries to both knees and a broken jaw, and he has lost either "most" or "several" of his teeth.

Our source on the "Ben got lucky" story told us he was operating on information that apparently has been superseded, and it's a sign of just how fluid and uncertain the situation has been.

"The injuries reported sound like a credible leak," the source told us. "There was no indiction of any knee injuries from my source who was with Ben but who knows?" Our source has since advised us that he still has no confirmation that reports of two serious knee injuries are accurate.

If Ben's knees are seriously injured, his ability to play in 2006 will be significantly affected. So then the question becomes, what do the Steelers do to replace him?

Personally, we'd call Doug Flutie. He's a better option than any of the stiffs and retreads currently on the market. Alternatively, if there's a chance that Roethlisberger is gone for more than one season, we'd get the Falcons on the horn about a trade for Matt Schaub.

We're still digging for more details.

From pft :P

Update from Lance confirms the above:

Ben update

According to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost many teeth and has severe injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

A plastic surgeon has been called in, the source said.

To quote Wayne from the Wonder Years

"Nice going, Butthead."

I don't ever like to see anyone get hurt. But not a very smart move, espeically after what happened with Winslow and getting warnings from Bill Cowher and Terry Bradshaw.

As my wife (born and raised in Pittsburgh, and being a therapist at the hospital where he is, having treated numerous head-injury guys over the years) said upon hearing the news, "I have no sympathy. If you are stupid enough to ride a motorcycle with no helmet, then you should get no sympathy when the injury finally occurs."

I agree.

This sucks. I hate seeing someone get hurt, no matter who they are. I hope he gets well soon.

Note to bikers though. Wear a freaking helmet.

New name for Ben? It's not Roethlesburger anymore. It's Roadburger. Ben Roadburger. Get well soon Mr. Roadburger.

Update from Lance confirms the above:

Ben update

According to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost many teeth and has severe injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

A plastic surgeon has been called in, the source said.

there goes his party life with the ladys