World Cup

Scottishbengal

Just got done watching the match and thought the foul against Henry that gave them the penalty kick was pretty weak. Yeah he got his leg, but not to the extent that Henry "played" it to be. Anyway, here's to hoping the Italians kick the crap out of them !!!

WHODEY !!!

They should get points from the diving judges as well as the goals they score. I can do without all of the dramatics.

For what it's worth the Third Place match is Saturday with Germany against Portugal. Sometimes these are the best games of the tournament because both teams have nothing to lose.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITALY WINS !!! Decided on penalty kicks... I think the foul against France giving them a penalty kick during regulation was questionable, but it was what it was. I can't believe Zindane from France headbutted the guy from Italy and was thrown out after the red card. Oh well, like I said before, if the USA can't win it, let it be ITALY !!! I'm happy for now !!!

WHODEY !!!

Yeah, that was just way harsh. Don't get me wrong, I loved it and it was probably provoked, but when you are the captain of your team in the finals and know it will probably go to penalty kicks to decide the outcome, you have to keep your composure. Zindane won't be playing any more games, as he said he is now retired. Bad way to go out !!!

WHODEY !!!

I can't believe Zindane from France headbutted the guy from Italy and was thrown out after the red card.

WHODEY !!!

I cannot believe he was chosen as the best player of the tournament. <_<

But I didn't see much of the tournament; just the first half of US-Italy and the second half yesterday. I just don't see the lure of watching 20-22 worn out individuals lolligag around the effing pitch. The end of yesterday's match was flat out boring. Let them sub and keep the action going. :huh:

I confess to prefering a dental chair to watching a soccer match. :lol:

Wimbledon doubles was more entertaining.

I think the Italian goalkeeper should have gotten the honor of best player, as he was dominant in his job allowing only one goal by penalty kick and another that was an own goal by one of his defenders (against the US). Oh well, Zindane just has history and since he's retiring, they gave it to him. He did well in the World Cup, but still would have gone with the other...

WHODEY !!!

Soccer has a little potential to be a good sport but it really has some dumb rules.

1. Get rid of offsides. Can you imagine basketball with offsides? It would be dumb and boring just like soccer. No flow to soccer because of it. It gives way too much power to the defender.

2. Get rid of the goal keeper. Wow! This would juice things up. No one can use his hands!

3. Modify the foul system. The whole yellow/red card thing is too nebulous. Go to something more like basketball or hockey.

4. The tiebreaking system is HORRENDOUS! Dont even try to defend the penalty kick system! Its totally stupid. Imagine Home run derby at the end of 9 innings...or field goals at the end of the super bowl... or free throws for basketball. I cannot believe that you want to decide the champion of the world on this system.

I know you die hard fanatics will rail on my suggestions, but i guarantee that it would change fan interest in the USA.

:bengal:

I'll concur on some of your statements... I like the offsides rule, the defense can only come as far as mid field and it can be beaten. Have to keep the goalkeeper or shots will be fired from mid field as well. Fouls are called as the game goes, just like Basketball, but if the foul is more harsh or deliberate, it draws a card or warning that can lead to ejection. I like that as well... I will agree that penalty shots are a strange way to decide the championship of the world, but I like them as well.

I'm just a soccer fan, so that explains a lot !!!

WHODEY !!!

I'll concur on some of your statements... I like the offsides rule, the defense can only come as far as mid field and it can be beaten. Have to keep the goalkeeper or shots will be fired from mid field as well. Fouls are called as the game goes, just like Basketball, but if the foul is more harsh or deliberate, it draws a card or warning that can lead to ejection. I like that as well... I will agree that penalty shots are a strange way to decide the championship of the world, but I like them as well.

I'm just a soccer fan, so that explains a lot !!!

WHODEY !!!

I think unlimited substitution would solve a lot of what I do not like about the game. It would bring more scoring and less ties. Hence fewer things like penalty kicks deciding a game.

The overtime period in the championship was nothing but a waste of time because all of the players were too tired to get up and down the field. It reminded me of a heavyweight fight in the 13-15 rounds where there is more hugging than boxing.

I guess it's just because I have a great love for soccer. Many look at soccer the same way I look at hockey... Boring, stupid, don't understand the game and dislike it so much, I'll never make the attempt to figure it out. In other words who cares... F*CK HOCKEY !!!

Well, like I said, I think many look at soccer that way. No big deal...

WHODEY !!!

I think the Italian goalkeeper should have gotten the honor of best player, as he was dominant in his job allowing only one goal by penalty kick and another that was an own goal by one of his defenders (against the US). Oh well, Zindane just has history and since he's retiring, they gave it to him. He did well in the World Cup, but still would have gone with the other...

WHODEY !!!

International soccer is alot like the NFL. They do a great job of hyping guys. When you dig a little deeper though you find out the real truth. Zindane had a total of 3 goals and 2 assist. Two of the three were penalty kicks which I tend to minimize because at that level no one should miss. The kid from Germany (Klose) had 5 goals.

He was mediocre in the first two of France's games in the round robin phase. He garnered a yellow card in each which is an automatic red card for the next. So his French teammates bailed him out when they defeated Togo 2-0 in the third game. They finished second with an unimpressive 1 win and 2 tie record.

He did seem to motivate them in the later stages but how can you go against the goalie Buffon who surrendered the own goal and Zidane's PK, on an iffy trip call in the box, in seven games. And if you can't give it to him then defender Fabio Cannavaro should have gotten it because he was the guy in front of Buffon.

Hopefully this type of incident will keep the voters from trying to craft history to suit their own needs the next time.

Those are two great posts.

I had wondered what was said, but not enough to google it. I don't hate soccer, I even played it in junior high when only the nerds would. I just would rather not watch it. Maybe I need submersion. With all of the match fixing controversies and officiating controversies, it must be important to alot of people. I read one commentary by a British official whom analogized his perception of a softening of British resolve through the teary eyed Beckham and his mates. (the disappearance of the stiff upper lip)

Frenchy did not deserve the POT award. Furthermore, FIFA should have made him ineligible for consideration. :angry: