World Cup

Scottishbengal

I watched most of the game but I didn't hear anything like that. However, I did hear things like awful, uninspired and falt. Oh, those are my words. I thought the team came in over-rated and today just proved that theory. Now they have to try and beat Italy (or tie, :puke: ) and beat Ghana. I guess they wanted some extra pressure to use as motivation. Well, they have better be!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching the game today i think we need to step it up in the last two games and win out. this is deffinately possible given that Italy is still without a 100% Totti playing for them. Though if we draw a tie with Italy we are done. Considering the czechs lost possibly for the rest of group play their 2 two main strikers Italy could win against them possibly especially if there the brohemians have a bad game. I also think the US came in over rated this year with a 5 rank, however i do think this game will make them play for domination in these last 2 games. tomorrow will likely be Arena's "come to jesus" meeting with the team on who will step up and take them into the round of 16. Dont abandon hope there are still 2 more games and 6 points to gain.

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

USMNT

The effort put forth was pathetic and to be touted as highly as they were coming into this game, I thought for sure they would have put up a more concerted effort. Sloppy play all around. Going up against Italy will be no easy task, not to mention the

3-0 goal differential isn't going to help them in the least unless they have some sort of scoring frenzy and that is not seen that much in these matches. Oh well, maybe in 2010... I know it's not over, but it sure isn't looking to good either...

WHODEY !!!

... I know it's not over, but it sure isn't looking to good either...

WHODEY !!!

I think the fat lady has sung . . . the FIFA ranking (#5) is generated by playing ALOT of games in North America . . .the only thing we seem to be able to do in Europe is win wars . . . .

... I know it's not over, but it sure isn't looking to good either...

WHODEY !!!

I think the fat lady has sung . . . the FIFA ranking (#5) is generated by playing ALOT of games in North America . . .the only thing we seem to be able to do in Europe is win wars . . . .

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

WHODEY !!!

What ever happened to the Scottish phenom Ryan Giggs? He was very well thought of from what I can remember but I never heard much about him after the '96 euros.

Ahhh Ryan Giggs, the captain of the ENGLAND schoolboys team who, following a parental divorce (?) opted to play for Wales (eligibility due to grandparents). One hell of a footballer (sorry, soccer player) but never had Scottish connections I'm affraid.

Billy - you disappoint me greatly. It goes to underline the fundamental difference between the Scots and the rest of the world - "everyone else" would have noticed the large breasted woman flaunting her ample charms, whereas only a true Scotsman would have noticed the guy in the background with TWO bottles of beer in ONE hand !

:cheers:

Sorry SB, I thought Mr. Giggs was Scottish. That explains why he never got much exposure since the Welsh team probably weren't good enough to qualify for the Euros or WC.

FYI, I noticed both pairs in your picture. The beers and the boobs. I think they call that multi tasking or something.

:cheers:

SB, I now realize who I was thinking about. I think the guy's name was Ally McCoist. He was quite the phenom if I remember correctly.

Also what a disappointment for the US team. They looked flat, scared and at times uninspired. I think they will have to beat or tie Italy on Saturday to have a prayer of making it in.

I saw the English, German and Italian team play earlier. I also heard that Brazil and France looked good.

Yeah McCoist was a very good player, now involved with coaching the national squad - he is quite a funny guy and will bring a bit of fun and humour to training.

Most teams have looked pretty under-par so far with few standing out as real contenders (Spain, Czech Republic, Argentina).

The England media band wagon rolls on - "we have seen no one that we should fear" - but on the other hand the performance against Paraguay wouldn't make anybody else worry about England either!! A partisan press but no doubt its the same in a lot of the countries.

Germany with home advantage and winning games will be tough, I hate the Italians for all their playacting (feigning/exagarating injuries etc - do you know why Italy is shaped like a boot? Cos you can't get that much s**t in a shoe!) but they'll be tough, Argies, Brazil, England all need to come good. France can stay crap and go home now for all I care. The name of the game in round one is qualify - the knockout stages will really sort out the men from the boys as it were. Bring it on - good luck to the USA you ended up in the "group of death" and the Czechs area very good side - I'll be rooting for ya!

PS - keep an eye on the Ivory Coast........even if they do speak french!

that Ref did something terrible today he hindered the game into being a draw rather than a win for either side. To make matters worse he was suspended for corruption in 2001, this guy is bone head. That said today was the most inspired soccer I have seen an US team play period. It was very impressive. It hink Ghana will have a tough time on thursday as a result. I was also impressed with the Italian play. Both teams played well the Czechs better worry about their game too. I feel bad for mastreoni, and Pope they may have lost their last chance to play in the world cup with their ejections. oh yeah and Mcbride is one tough SOB too, he could probably have benefited from Armybengals help though.

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

Agree with the inspired play by the US !!! It was good to see them be more aggressive and take Italy out of their comfort zone. I like the Italian team, minus the acting displays they put on at times and think their game with the Czechs will be a good one !!!

WHODEY !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Final four time. Italy v. Germany on Tuesday and Portugal v. France on Wednesday.

I think the Germans will be hard to beat on their home turf. They have two of the top goal scorers in Klose and Podolski. On the other side, the Italians have only allowed the own-goal in the USA game, thus far. So it appears to be the story of the irresistable force (Germany) against the immovable object (Italy). I do think the two goals by Luca Toni for Italy v. Ukraine have gotten him out of his funk so he may be an unexpected positive for the Italians.

It is hard for me to believe that Portugal can pull of another upset but they are young and hungry so who knows. Since 1998 France has won the World Cup in 1998 and the Euro Championship in 2000, with many of the same guys on this club. They did fall on their face in 2002 in Korea. On the other side, Portugal lost to Greece in the Euro finals in 2004 on their home turf. So they have made it to the finals of a big game just two years ago.

My prediction is a Germany v. France final with Germany winning it all.

wc20061ta.jpg

I think Portugal has probably run out its luck with the game against England. they have way too many men carded in the last 2 matches. I would characterize them as the "Dirty Dozen" of this world Cup. I believe that Germany will come out on top this world cup though it will be tough against the italians. I did get my wish though on saturday when the French of all people knocked the Brazillians out of the tournement. Oh anyone here the rumor that the world cup may be back in the US in 2018? its just a rumor but would love to be able to go to another WC game in my lifetime.

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

GO RED YELLOW AND BLACK!!!

DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES!!!

i think it'll be germany and portugal in the finals...with germany most likely winning it all in their home country.

go usa! u did us so proud...and u wonder why we hate soccer.

Oh anyone here the rumor that the world cup may be back in the US in 2018? its just a rumor but would love to be able to go to another WC game in my lifetime.

That would be great. I got to a game in NY in 1994. I think the next one (2010) is in South Africa but I don't know about 2014. If that is the case, I wonder if PBS would have a shot at being a host site. During construction of the stadium, removeable seating sections in the corners were installed to accomodate soccer in the future. Mike Brown is friends with Lamar Hunt who was a big backer of the MLS and owned the KC soccer franchise. Brown stated that he wouldn't mind doing the same and made arrangements to modify the lower seating bowl. Shortly after that the MLS awarded a franchise to Columbus ending that for now. However, things are in place if necessary. That is also one of the hooks about getting a seat license. You would have first dibs on any event staged at PBS. I'd like to see it.

Also, I know I am euro-centrist, but it seems that the Cups played in Europe seem to be the more interesting ones (1982 Spain, 1990 Italy, 1998 France, 2006 Germany) while the ones not played there are largely forgettable (1986 Mexico, 1994 USA and the OJ chase, 2002 Korea). Maybe it's just me.

Personally I enjoy the Euro championships just as much. Old monarchies and bitter rivals fighting on the pitch is often more compelling than many of the World Cup games. There is some type of history in every game.

Qualifying begins in August for Euro 2008 which will be co-hosted in Switzerland and Austria.

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/euro/index.html

It would be cool to see a WC game in PBS it would be the best site in ohio Crew Staduim is just too small at 23,000ish. Pizza hut Park in Dallas, Toyota Park in Chicago and The Home Depot Center in LA would most likely be the first venues chosen, then the football staduims that are wide enough. In 1994 that was a major problem the Football stadiums were too NARROW for the a regulation field to be used. Also while you would normally get first dibs on an event this would not be one of those events as all tickets would be controlled out of FIFA HQ in Switzerland.

By the way i think ill quit routing for teams mine all seem to lose in this go round.

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

Down with Italy!

It looks like the immovable object (Italy) won yesterday. Amazing game. It looks like the Germans were playing for PKs and it bit them in the rear. I think the OT game vs. Argentina didn't help matters either.

Old guys (France) against the young turks (Portugal) today. It should be a great game too.

Just got done watching the match and thought the foul against Henry that gave them the penalty kick was pretty weak. Yeah he got his leg, but not to the extent that Henry "played" it to be. Anyway, here's to hoping the Italians kick the crap out of them !!!

WHODEY !!!