World Cup

Scottishbengal

Only just over 3 weeks to go until the World Cup kicks off (June 9th).

Brazil (world ranked No. 1) will be the tournament favourites.

USA (ranked 5) will open their fixtures on June 12th against the Czech Republic (ranked 2).

All the talk on this side of the pond is England, England, England. Now I'm not bitter, twisted and jealous cos England qualified for the finals and Scotland didn't but I'm so fed up with hype that I'm off to Canada and Alaska for 3 weeks! But that's only beacuse I'm bitter, twisted and jealous cos England qualified and Scotland didn't!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Das Germans, in a group with Costa Rica (ohhh i remember THEM), Ecuador and Poland. Germany will look comfortable in reaching the knock out stages.

Italy will always be looking to progress deep into the tournament but have been grouped with Ghana, USA, and the Czech Rep - a group of death indeed!

Argentina, perenial contenders, only have 4 players with previous world cup experience - that could be an achilles heel for them. Matched with Ivory Coast, Serbia & Montenegro and Holland this could prove an interesting group.

England do have an excellent chance with the best squad for many many years, but with the manager leaving after the campaign will he have the motivation when it's needed?

France, Spain, Portugal & Mexico will all be looking to ease past round 1.

My dark horse tip for going some way (but not winning it) will be Ukraine

I love the World Cup and can't wait to watch the games !!! Soccer is the only sport I was really any good at and was to small for football. I absolutely LOVE Soccer !!! I'm rooting for the U.S. of course, but have always enjoyed watching Germany and Italy and root for them any other time !!!

WHODEY !!!

Soccer gets crapped on too much in this country. I wouldn't say I enjoy watching it on TV frequently, but I love the international competition it brings... Moreso than even the Olympics IMO. I might watch the later rounds, especially if the ol' USofA goes deep into it.

I can't wait for the Cup to begin there are some really great matchups this year. I am concerned thought that the US has the best team its ever fielded, and has the possibilty of not making it out of the initial round due to being paired with both the Czechs and the Italian. That has to be the toughest bracket ever. Though on the other hand it would make a HUGE statement if the US would manage to win and take top seed out of that group.

scottishbengal love the Black Adder quote, great series love the George III one the best though.

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

Soccer gets crapped on too much in this country. I wouldn't say I enjoy watching it on TV frequently, but I love the international competition it brings... Moreso than even the Olympics IMO. I might watch the later rounds, especially if the ol' USofA goes deep into it.

I love it because of all the bitter rivalries that linger after decades or even centuries. The eastern block teams against Russia. The Germans v. the English. Spain v. Portugal. Brazil v. Argentina. And of course everyone against the French.

It's not just about your team, it's about national pride and sticking it to you "enemy".

And of course everyone against the French.

Couldn't have put it any better myself!

Soccer gets crapped on too much in this country. I wouldn't say I enjoy watching it on TV frequently, but I love the international competition it brings... Moreso than even the Olympics IMO.

That last Olymics absolutely sucked! The World Cup is far more enjoyable to watch.

Only just over 3 weeks to go until the World Cup kicks off (June 9th). All the talk on this side of the pond is England, England, England. Now I'm not bitter, twisted and jealous cos England qualified for the finals and Scotland didn't but I'm so fed up with hype that I'm off to Canada and Alaska for 3 weeks!

Alaska? I have a close friend (okay, my former brother in law Nick) who runs a hunting and fishing lodge up there on Kodiak Island called The Lodge at Hidden Basin. It's a spendy place, (Rates are $4000 US/week) but you'll see by the link above, it's well worth it!

One more thing Scotsman...the big chested woman in your sig: :sure:

bigchest3wt.jpg

What ever happened to the Scottish phenom Ryan Giggs? He was very well thought of from what I can remember but I never heard much about him after the '96 euros.

Ahhh Ryan Giggs, the captain of the ENGLAND schoolboys team who, following a parental divorce (?) opted to play for Wales (eligibility due to grandparents). One hell of a footballer (sorry, soccer player) but never had Scottish connections I'm affraid.

Billy - you disappoint me greatly. It goes to underline the fundamental difference between the Scots and the rest of the world - "everyone else" would have noticed the large breasted woman flaunting her ample charms, whereas only a true Scotsman would have noticed the guy in the background with TWO bottles of beer in ONE hand !

:cheers:

Billy - you disappoint me greatly. It goes to underline the fundamental difference between the Scots and the rest of the world - "everyone else" would have noticed the large breasted woman flaunting her ample charms, whereas only a true Scotsman would have noticed the guy in the background with TWO bottles of beer in ONE hand !

Uh...excuse me. He's holding two bottles of "Rocky Mountain Goat Piss." Not Beer :guinness026jw.jpg

What ever happened to the Scottish phenom Ryan Giggs? He was very well thought of from what I can remember but I never heard much about him after the '96 euros.

Ahhh Ryan Giggs, the captain of the ENGLAND schoolboys team who, following a parental divorce (?) opted to play for Wales (eligibility due to grandparents). One hell of a footballer (sorry, soccer player) but never had Scottish connections I'm affraid.

Sorry SB, I thought Mr. Giggs was Scottish. That explains why he never got much exposure since the Welsh team probably weren't good enough to qualify for the Euros or WC.

FYI, I noticed both pairs in your picture. The beers and the boobs. I think they call that multi tasking or something.

BRAZIL IS GOING ALL THE WAY!

Frontrunner! :lol: No, you are probably right. They are loaded every year and seem to play at a much faster level than the rest of the teams.

Here is a great series of four commercials that ESPN has for the World Cup. Click on ENTER to open a new window. At the bottom there are four options (Anthem, Ivory Coast, Tartan Army, Sick Days) to choose from. Then click on VIEW SPOT to start the video. Each one is narrated by a member of U2. Pretty awsome stuff. I especially like the Tartan Army one.

http://www.soccernet.com/onegame/

Note: To view the video, your system will require Macromedia Flash Player 8 (from Adobe).

while i will agree that the Brazilians are good with their fast paced "samba" style it is also a style that lacks the north european toughness. thats why absolutely hate watching latin American soccer teams, i prefer the more smashmouth european style of soccer. I think Germany may have a chance this year, the Italians are in a real funk, the Brits are decent too. I think that the Czechs may suprise everyone.

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

while i will agree that the Brazilians are good with their fast paced "samba" style it is also a style that lacks the north european toughness. thats why absolutely hate watching latin American soccer teams, i prefer the more smashmouth european style of soccer. I think Germany may have a chance this year, the Italians are in a real funk, the Brits are decent too. I think that the Czechs may suprise everyone.

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

Well put. Indeed I loathe the continental approach to football, slow play, keep possession, feign injury, fall over at the lightest touch from an opponent, play for a 0-0 draw and then hope to win the game on penalties. I much prefer the British (and german/scandinavian) style of fast paced attacking football - blood and thunder type stuff. Urgent, very physical, sometimes not pretty, - just like a girl I used to pork!

The World Cup gives us the best opporunity to see contests between teams who play different styles, and the tactical chess matches that ensue. I hope it's a tournament that lives up to expectation.

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to remind everyone that Monday is the kickoff for the US Mens National Team against the Czechs. This will be a tough match but hopefully our boys will pull through it with a win or a draw, after the Czechs it should be easier to get to the next round. Also how about those germans scoring from outside the box twice. It doesnt get any prettier than upper 90 in the corner from 40 yards making the goalie look like a fool....

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

USMNT, and the MASSIVE CLUB in Central Ohio CC!

Yep, got the DVR all fired up for tomorrows match and hoping for good things. Our boys are ranked #5 in the world, so it should be a good match with the Czechs. Watched the Netherlands and Serbia Montenegro match this morning and I can't remember the guys name from the Netherlands, but the dude took that match over and had a sweet push into the net !!! I love the World Cup !!!

WHODEY !!!

I have never been the biggest club soccer fan, but when it comes to the World Cup, Hell, I can watch any and all games. I love it. One of the greatest events to happen on the planet. Damn, I love this time. Great, fun times. Rooting for the US (duh) and Germany. Gooooooo Deutschland!

Yep, got the DVR all fired up for tomorrows match and hoping for good things. Our boys are ranked #5 in the world, so it should be a good match with the Czechs. Watched the Netherlands and Serbia Montenegro match this morning and I can't remember the guys name from the Netherlands, but the dude took that match over and had a sweet push into the net !!! I love the World Cup !!!

WHODEY !!!

the dutch guy was Robben, he is really talented. I was really impressed in the Mexico match with the brazillian/naturalized mexican, Zenha he had a monster game with an assist and a goal within just a few minutes.

Oh yeah FYI on the US we might have some trouble at striker tomorrow heard that Brian Ching had 18 stitches on his forhead from a training accicent. I am confident though that my boy Donovan will come through however and dictate the pace of game up front regardless. By the way besure to fly the official flag of Sam's Army!

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

post-1443-1150072243_thumb.jpg

Yeah, Robben... Heard the rest of his team was complaining he was a ball hog and trying to take the spotlight in the game. What a bunch of assclowns !!! Here's an idea... If someone besides Robben could do ANYTHING, you wouldn't have this problem. The guy took over the game and was the reason they won. Oh well, on another note, I was glad Mexico handed it to Iran today !!!

WHODEY !!!

ok time for someone from the country that created real football to pipe in :D

england imo will not go further than the semis(and thats an englishman saying that) main reason i think this is one word Sven. The USA will have trouble qualifying for the next round empasised by the chec game today the final I think will be two of these 4 teams this cup Italy, argentina, Brazil, netherlands.

oh and i read in our national newspaper today that espn were using a baseball guy that knows nothing about football at all and kept using baseball lingo like "welcome to the world series of soccer" :P

is this true ?