Who will be the Bengals first draft pick?

In the latest edition of ESPN Magazine, Mel Kiper projects that the Bengals will take CB Jimmy Williams from Virginia Tech as their first pick in the draft.

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/player...5/williams.html

I keep thinking defensive line. Either another big body in the middle or a pass rushing DE since Geathers isn't the force that many thought he would be.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think it all depends on who ends up being there when we pick that maybe we thought wasn't going to be... I'm still hoping for Cromartie and would rather not have Williams, but that is just me. If Kiwi or Hali were there, they might be more than a passing thought. If Bunkley were to fall how do you pass him up ?? Maybe someone else falls that's to good to be true, you just never know... Less than 2 weeks now !!!

WHODEY !!!

There are many players that the Bengals could take that would improve this team, and I am not worried. Marvin will get who he needs.

I have a feeling that someone good that should go in the top 15 will slip through; be it Vernon Davis, Michael Huff, or Wimbley or someone of that nature, and it will be a gift in the lap of the Bengals.

Jimmy Williams shouldn't last until #24, especially if Jason Allen's recent failed physicals factor into teams minds. Kiper has got Allen ahead of Williams and that's doubtful for a player with a hip injury that may be degenerative. The failed physicals in themselves may not send Allen on a dwnward spiral, but I think you'll see Williams rise and Allen fall in Kiper's next projection.

I'm sticking with Antonio Cromartie. But it looks like things would have to fall just right for him to last until #24. Other than him, Donte Whitner or Manny Lawson. Just not TE. Given the use of the TE in the Bengals offense and the reliance on a blocking TE, to me drafting a TE at #24 still seems a missed opportunity to grab an impact defensive player or trade down to take advantage of the solid depth at defensive positions in the middle rounds of this draft.

Im thinking Cromartie or Witner if they want to go defensive back in the first .. come back with Fassano in the second..

If they go tight end in the first then Id say Mercedes Lewis and maybe DT John McCargo in the second..

Myself Id like to see Nick Mangold in the first and come back with Fassano in the second... a CB in the third.. Marcus Maxie would be my choice....

Myself Id like to see Nick Mangold in the first and come back with Fassano in the second... a CB in the third.. Marcus Maxie would be my choice....

You're entitled to your opinion, but the thought of spending the first two picks on offense makes me want to :swear:

Why is that.. The team needs to upgrade tightend position and Fassano can catch And block effectively....

Mangold would anchor our line for years ....

Can still get a good CB in the third .. Marcus Maxie is a good one and their are plenty others...

Our defense has improved thru free agency... another CB would be nice but Id go with the rest of the defense this season and feel secure about it..

Why is that.. The team needs to upgrade tightend position and Fassano can catch And block effectively....

Mangold would anchor our line for years ....

Can still get a good CB in the third .. Marcus Maxie is a good one and their are plenty others...

Our defense has improved thru free agency... another CB would be nice but Id go with the rest of the defense this season and feel secure about it..

I would like a good TE on the first day, and Fassano would be an excellent pickup. Still, we already have pieces in place on offense to be fine for many years to come. The two free agents we've added to the defense will be helpful, but the job is by no means finished. We could improve ourselves greatly in the first round by going after a number of positions on defense... Hell, pretty much any of them except MLB or FS.

Two day one offensive picks will irritate me. Will I deal with it ?? Obviously, but Jackson and Adams (while I love the pickups) doesn't do anything long term for us and we are getting much closer on defense. If we could get a couple players on defense on day one, we won't be in the same boat next season. Not to mention, the depth at CB and quality at DT or DE is not the greatest in my book. Just the possibility of Carson not being back for a few games and relying on the defense to step up would indicate the need to go defensive on day one minus a TE (maybe). Of course this is my opinion on it...

WHODEY !!!

I just don't like the Manny Lawson idea... I am worried someone his size benefited a lot from the presence of Supermario and McCargo on the same defensive line. I don't think his collegiate production will translate to much as an NFL DE, unless someone has faith to make an OLB out of him. The Bengals just did that last season with Pollack.

I understand your concerns re: Lawson.

However, I would ask you to read some of his draft profiles, and then check his combine data. especially his speed and quickness vs size. Also, he was named the defensive MVP of his college team - not mccargo, not super mario......make sure you also read his special teams history

I just don't like the Manny Lawson idea... I am worried someone his size benefited a lot from the presence of Supermario and McCargo on the same defensive line. I don't think his collegiate production will translate to much as an NFL DE, unless someone has faith to make an OLB out of him. The Bengals just did that last season with Pollack.

Cool, no problem then, we just draft McCargo in the 2nd to go along with him !!! :sure:

That would be a good same school draft tandem in my book !!!

WHODEY !!!

I do love his 245/4.4 kind of numbers, but they still look like linebacker numbers to me. I know that some DEs in the NFL have had success at similar sizes, but they are a rarity. Also, take into account that he is 6'6", and that's pretty friggin tall for a 245 pound player. He seems kinda lanky, and I'm worried that would restrict his ability to finesse his way around OTs in the NFL who are far more athletic than his old collegiate opponents.

Heck, if the Bengals were to pick him, then I wouldn't be disappointed. Most of my gripes with Lawson are pure speculation, and I am sure the scouting crew is more able to discern the reality of his question marks better than myself.

I figure 2 weeks before the draft, transactions have slowed down, we have a better idea of teams needs and player skill as well as depth at each position available in the draft.

Bengalszone members know their football. I know one of you will call it on the money.

Congratulations to whoever get's it right! You are a genius! :cheers:

:bengal:

1st pick. Leonard Pope

2nd pick. Claude Wroten

(We might have to make this an annual event)

We have a similar contest going on involving the first round pick. If you have the Zone Dollars, feel free to participate.

http://forums.bengalszone.com/index.php?showtopic=10803

My picks for the first and second rounds are Antonio Cromartie and John McCargo, respectively.

Also, I will move this thread over the Draft forum where this sort of discussion is taking place.