Huggins to coach K-State

San Antonio Bengal

From ESPN:

Former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins has accepted a five-year contract to coach Kansas State, his attorney, Richard Katz, told ESPN.com on Thursday morning.

Kansas State confirmed that Huggins will be the next coach, according to spokesperson Tom Gilbert.

Katz said he and Huggins were on their way to Manhattan, Kan., for a 5 p.m. ET Thursday news conference. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Why Kansas State?

"He feels that Kansas State has the potential to be a top 10 program," Katz said of Huggins' decision. "The Manhattan university community has embraced him and wants him to be the head coach."

Huggins, who was forced out of Cincinnati last August, will replace Jim Wooldridge, who was fired after the Wildcats lost to Texas Tech in the Big 12 tournament opening round earlier this month.

Kansas State also interviewed Northern Iowa's Greg McDermott, but he took the Iowa State job.

Huggins has had conversations with Kansas State in the past few weeks. Katz had made four trips to Kansas State recently, surveying the scene. This could come down to one of the most important hires of athletic director's Tim Weiser's career. Kansas State has needed to hit a home run with this hire and certainly has brought in a big-time name in Huggins.

I just became a K-State fan for no reason.

If kennedy doesn't get the job I'm considering turning my back on the school.

Did you also read the interesting artilce linking OJ Mayo and Walker to go wherever Hugs does.

I have my doubts that K State is that place, though

And if he did recruit them, wouldn't that be a great in your face UC moment.

• 2 weeks later...

huggins is up to his old tricks by giving players family members and old coaches jobs so he can get players to play there. was that not one of the many reasons he was fired at cincinnati. this guys has no morals what so ever what he is doing is just legalized cheating what a joke.