DT --> Position of NEED

ArmyBengal

This draft is way too deep in DT's for a guy like Marvin to take one in the first round. We are drafting for the future and will get a punch you in the mouth safety or DE, maybe even LB.

I think there is zero chance we take a DT in the first...probably not until the 3rd, but the 2nd wouldn't be all that surprising. The same is true for TE's. Marvin has been waiting for a draft like this one...deep in 2-3 of the positions we need the most.

I disagree. DT is not that deep, it never is. It may appear to be, but the fact is, DTs bust constantly if they aren't the top couple of guys. If you don't get a blue chipper, you may get screwed badly with an Askew.

On the other hand, linebackers are much easier to predict how they will do in the NFL.

The TE draft is deep, and more predictable.

The Safety draft is deep, and more predictable.

There aren't many DEs in this draft worth taking this year in any round, and the guys who can make an immediate impact will be gone by our pick.

We are not drafting for the future this year. This is the year to draft for the now. We drafted for the future the last three years. This one is all about how to get immediate upgrades.

This draft is way too deep in DT's for a guy like Marvin to take one in the first round. We are drafting for the future and will get a punch you in the mouth safety or DE, maybe even LB.

I think there is zero chance we take a DT in the first...probably not until the 3rd, but the 2nd wouldn't be all that surprising. The same is true for TE's. Marvin has been waiting for a draft like this one...deep in 2-3 of the positions we need the most.

I disagree. DT is not that deep, it never is. It may appear to be, but the fact is, DTs bust constantly if they aren't the top couple of guys. If you don't get a blue chipper, you may get screwed badly with an Askew.

On the other hand, linebackers are much easier to predict how they will do in the NFL.

The TE draft is deep, and more predictable.

The Safety draft is deep, and more predictable.

There aren't many DEs in this draft worth taking this year in any round, and the guys who can make an immediate impact will be gone by our pick.

We are not drafting for the future this year. This is the year to draft for the now. We drafted for the future the last three years. This one is all about how to get immediate upgrades.

I agree that DT isn't deep, but I don't think the answer is there at 24 in the first round. It typically takes years for DT's to develop into solid (or spectacular) contributers at the NFL level. Look at the Pro Bowl roster this year. None of the DTs from the NFC or AFC (except Tommie Harris) has been around for less than 6 years. I know you're not looking for Pro Bowl performance out of a rookie, but I think this says something about how long it takes to develop at this position.

As for Askew, though I'd agree that he hasn't found a way (for whatever reason) onto the field, I'd ask which DT should have we picked? Here the list of those picked after him:

4 118 Anthony Maddox DT Delta State

5 139 Rodney Leisle DT UCLA

5 161 Amon Gordon DT Stanford

6 179 Corey Williams DT Arkansas State

6 189 Craig Terrill DT Purdue

7 204 Ryon Bingham DT Nebraska

7 212 Eric Taylor DT Memphis

7 226 Christian Ferrara DT Syracuse

7 230 Jared Clauss DT Iowa

I agree with the Bengalszone mock draft and snag Whitner if he's there and Bunkley isn't...I can't remember the name of the OSU DT...but he didn't look bad at the combine and could be an excellent pick up later in the day.

Sam Adams, last choice but maybe not the worst choice.

There are no decent DTs coming out of Ohio State this year. The only Bucks' d-lineman worth drafting is Mike Kudla, a DE…and he's a project. Strong as a bull (he tied the combine record for the bench press), but never really produced big numbers at OSU.

I agree, there probably won't be a DT in the draft worth taking in round one, but to say that there will be one later was my objection.

DT is the one position I wish we would have been more aggressive in signing a blue chip free agent like Pickett.

I think their lack of interest in anything resembling a quality FA DT is a pretty strong indicator that they will be drafting one on day 1. I mean, it isn't as if top FA DTs were super-expensive this year: Pickett got a deal averaging $3.5 million while Bernard averaged $4.3 million a year. That's comparable to what the Bengals paid Thornton three years ago. Heck, it's less than Pat Williams averaged when he signed in Minny last season ($4.5 million).

Right now, I think they'll take one in the second, probably whoever is left out of the Wroten/Harris/Watson/Wright crowd. Maybe they have to drop down to McCargo or Williams. The good thing is that our DTs right now are so unspectacular that even a rookie second-rounder ought to be able to make an impact.

You guys are killing me with this "First round young DT take time to develope" bull. Let me just throw a few names off the top of my head. Cortez Kennedy, Russel Maryland, Casey Hampton, and yes Warren Sapp. All these guys were first round draft picks and contributed IMMEDIATELY to their respective teams. :dots:

I think you guys are almost to the point where you are over-debating the situation. You might even be coming up with dillusional thoughts just to justify your stance. Almost like a guy that stands in the middle of the desert long enough that he starts to see an oasis. :lmao:

We will take a DT in the first day, and if we don't, it'll be just another year of watching RB's slice and dice through our D-line. <_<

If DT is NOT a day one pick, I swear I might go on a killing spree. I'm of the line of the line of thought that we will take one in the 2nd as well. I agree with Joisey in that the Bengals not going after a FA DT is a big indicator they will take one on day one of the draft.

WHODEY !!!

You guys are killing me with this "First round young DT take time to develope" bull. Let me just throw a few names off the top of my head. Cortez Kennedy, Russel Maryland, Casey Hampton, and yes Warren Sapp. All these guys were first round draft picks and contributed IMMEDIATELY to their respective teams. :dots:

All these guys contributed immediately? Perhaps you should check your history. All were 2nd year phenoms, yes. First year? Not so much.

1990 Cortez Kennedy? Perhaps you should look at what he accomplished in this league in his first year. Just over two tackles per game, and all of 1 sack.

1995 Warren Sapp? 16 games, 26 tackles? 3 Sacks all year?

2001 Casey Hampton? 22 tackles, 1 sack all year.

I couldn't find rookie stats for old man Maryland. However, please note the number of years between your examples. Casey Hampton is the most recent "immediate" impact DT you could find?

Lets try this another way.

2004:

Tommie Harris - 43 tackles! 3.5 sacks Now that's immediate impact, but as has been mentioned this is the exception and not the rule. :bengal:

Marcus Tubbs - 13 tackles 1 sack....

Junior Siavii - 9 tackles 1 sack

Tank Johnson - 9 tackles, .5 sacks

2003: HUGE year for DTs. 3 picks in the top 10 of the draft

Dewayne Robertson - 43 tackles! 1.5 sacks Immediate Impact, exception not the rule. :bengal:

Johnathon Sullivan - 33 tackles! 1 sack! :bengal:

Kevin Williams - 51 tackles! 10.5 sacks! :bengal:

Jimmy Kennedy - 2 tackles

William Joseph - 7 tackles

Anthony Adams - 26 tackles 1.5 sacks

2002:

Ryan Sims - 5 Tackles :bengal:

Wendell Bryant - 12 tackles

Albert Haynesworth - 30 tackles, 1 sack

Larry Tripplet - 21 tackles - SECOND ROUNDER Did better than the top 2 DTs drafted.

2001:

Gerard Warren - 61 tackles, 5 sacks :bengal: EXCEPTION (also the #3 overall pick)

Damione Lewis - 10 tackles :bengal:

Marcus Stroud - 25 tackles :bengal:

Casey Hampton -22 tackles, 1 sack

Ryan Pickett - 19 tackles

Kris Jenkins - 34 Tackles 2 sacks (Please note 2nd rounder did better than all but 1 of the 1st rounders)

Shaun Rogers - 81 Tackles! 3 Sacks - (Please note the 2nd to last pick of the second round outdid everyone before him)

Just by looking at the last 3 years, you can see that a small percentage of DTs drafted in the first two rounds perform at the level needed to make an immediate impact as a starter. A similar percentage completely wash out. Others come on later in their careers.

It's a crap shoot at DT in the draft. By the way everyone with a player smiley was an early first round pick. We don't even have that luxury. We have late first round picks.

Including Sam & Grady, the FA DT pool has all but dried up.

1. Brentson Buckner -- Preliminary talks with Giants

2. Monsanto Pope -- Visited Jets and Bills in last week.

3. Ron Edwards -- Just visited Dolphins.

4. Lional Dalton -- Bengals look like only team interested enough to have him for visit.

Don't see reported visits for Gary Walker, Willie Whitehead, Josh Williams or Antwan Lake.

I'd like to see Edwards visit. He'd fit the bill at LDT splitting time with Shuan Smith. Edwards tore up his left shoulder in 2003 and his right shoulder less seriously last year. He shouldn't get more than a $250k SB and $1 mill 2006 salary.