Lavar Arrington: The Saga Continues

The Big Orange

Agent: Arrington to visit

By GEOFF HOBSON

March 22, 2006

6:15 p.m.

One of the agents for Pro Bowl linebacker Lavar Arrington said his client is headed to Cincinnati Wednesday night for a visit with the Bengals.

Carl Poston said Wednesday afternoon that Arrington is intrigued with the possibility of reuniting with Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis but the sides have yet to talk money for the best linebacker on the free-agent market.

With the Bengals talking to some of their offensive linemen about contract extensions, Arrington’s price could be prohibitive given Julian Peterson’s deal in Seattle that has been reported at $54 million over seven years with $18.5 million guaranteed.

Plus, reports out of Miami say the Dolphins have heightened their interest in Arrington, the second pick in the 2000 NFL Draft.

But the 6-3, 255-pound Arrington had the best season of his career under Lewis in the one season Lewis served as the Redskins defensive coordinator. In 2002, Arrington had 11 sacks, four forced fumbles, and three fumble recoveries. In a new system in 2003, he had six sacks and seven forced fumbles while going to his third straight Pro Bowl before enduring injury-plagued seasons in 2004 and 2005.

Poston said Arrington has visited Miami and the Giants and could visit the Jaguars.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and will be signed by Friday...this will be a doozy...maybe more than I originally thought. I went and reviewed what we paid guys like Hardy, Thornton, Clemons, Powell, Kelly, Gibson....they spent some bucks...this will top those.

I'm upping my prediction to 4 years/8 million bonus/4.5 year...13 million guaranteed..(2 years prorated..)

This leaves enough cash for a back-up DT..like Dalton, signing the rookies, extending Levi and then franchising Steiny in '07...

I'm liking our extra r7 pick very much at this point...

...and will be signed by Friday...this will be a doozy...maybe more than I originally thought. I went and reviewed what we paid guys like Hardy, Thornton, Clemons, Powell, Kelly, Gibson....they spent some bucks...this will top those.

I'm upping my prediction to 4 years/8 million bonus/4.5 year...13 million guaranteed..(2 years prorated..)

This leaves enough cash for a back-up DT..like Dalton, signing the rookies, extending Levi and then franchising Steiny in '07...

I'm liking our extra r7 pick very much at this point...

You think we have a legitimate shot? I hope we do, I am also glad to see someone on the LaVar train

I like it. It would show that things are truly changing for Cincinnati. It would be the 1st big time name to sign with the Bengals. You knew Moss was going to the Raiders, and you knew T.O. was going to go to Dallas. The point is that it always seems like players go with teams that have a good "image". I would like to see the Bengals as a team like that.

Adam Schefter on the NFL Network claimed that Miami and Jacksonville had emerged as the front runners for Arringtons services, but the Giants and Cincy were still interested enough to be monitoring the negotiations and capable of making a late push. He mentioned nothing about Arrington's visit.

C'mon guys, make it happen.

If the Bengals are looking to spend big money on a position to upgrade the defense, they sure the hell could find a position that needed upgrading more than the LB'ers. We could have dropped 7-8 million a year (Roughly what Arrington is looking for) and gotten 2 MAJOR upgrades to the Defensive Line. We didn't. That pretty much tells me that the the Bengals will not be signing any "Big name, Big Money" players. I think they intend to get a decent backup QB and then pick through the remaining players and grab lower priced players that upgrade our team.

If the Bengals are looking to spend big money on a position to upgrade the defense, they sure the hell could find a position that needed upgrading more than the LB'ers. We could have dropped 7-8 million a year (Roughly what Arrington is looking for) and gotten 2 MAJOR upgrades to the Defensive Line. We didn't. That pretty much tells me that the the Bengals will not be signing any "Big name, Big Money" players. I think they intend to get a decent backup QB and then pick through the remaining players and grab lower priced players that upgrade our team.

This has been my biggest beef as well, but I keep chalking it up to Marvin knows more than I do about these players. I really hope I'm right in that assumption...

WHODEY !!!

Bengals | Arrington visit will continue Thursday

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:26:01 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports free agent LB LaVar Arrington's (Redskins) visit will begin Wednesday evening, March 22, and will continue into Thursday, March 23.

That is a good thing, one evening isnt enough

Bengals | Arrington visit will continue Thursday

Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:26:01 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports free agent LB LaVar Arrington's (Redskins) visit will begin Wednesday evening, March 22, and will continue into Thursday, March 23.

That is a good thing, one evening isnt enough

Maybe Arrington wants to check out the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky Nightlife with Chris Henry.

:boff:

We could have dropped 7-8 million a year (Roughly what Arrington is looking for) and gotten 2 MAJOR upgrades to the Defensive Line. We didn't. That pretty much tells me that the the Bengals will not be signing any "Big name, Big Money" players. I think they intend to get a decent backup QB and then pick through the remaining players and grab lower priced players that upgrade our team.

Whose to say they didn't evaluate free agency AND the draft and determine weeks ago that they'd rather draft a younger DT who comes with a longer and cheaper contract?

We could have dropped 7-8 million a year (Roughly what Arrington is looking for) and gotten 2 MAJOR upgrades to the Defensive Line. We didn't. That pretty much tells me that the the Bengals will not be signing any "Big name, Big Money" players. I think they intend to get a decent backup QB and then pick through the remaining players and grab lower priced players that upgrade our team.

Whose to say they didn't evaluate free agency AND the draft and determine weeks ago that they'd rather draft a younger DT who comes with a longer and cheaper contract?

It's possible. I could argue that, out of the top 50-100 prospects in this draft, you have a higher ratio of decent LB than either the DT or DE position. I could also argue that, generally speaking, it takes a rookie LB less time to contribute than a rookie DT. Langston Moore? Mathias Askew?

While I tend to agree that they won't sign Arrington, or anyone of his ilk, I still think Arrington, regardless of position, would have a bigger impact on the team than adding an Adams or Grady, if he's healthy.

Plopping an over-aged fat ass in the middle of the line will do less than people think, he's not magically going to keep LB's jersies clean.

But adding 6-11 sacks to your lineup, some more FF's and a lot of tackles - will have a significant impact. I just think a lot of Odell's mistakes, in particular, are of his own doing, rather than protection issues.

If Arrington IS healthy, and stays that way for the most part, and responds well again to how Marvin uses him, then he's a beast in his prime years, and is exactly the type of impact player this defense desperately needs.

My guess is the Bengals' are doing their diligence and not much more - pretty much telling him, "if you want to play for us, you'll have to play for XXX amount, and we'd be happy to have you if so, bye."

Carson Palmer will attract more good FA's here over the years than Marvin, or any coach, could on his own.

Give him another healthy year or two at QB before that starts to happen though, and they lose some more veteran dead weight.

"Back" in town? Does anybody really think he was in Cincy on Sunday/Monday (as the rumors said) then came back on Wednesday/Thursday?

More proof that you can't believe everything you read.

Of course, some will still say he's still going to be signed by Friday.

Chad just catches the ball and is very vocal. Those things don't draw someone to a team. A franchise QB with the tools to bring a Ring to a team WILL draw some players in search of the elusive Championship Ring !!! Don't get me wrong, I like both of them, but Carson is going to be huge. I hope Chad sticks around to enjoy the ride !!!

WHODEY !!!

:huh: I can't help but wonder if the Bengals are going to pay that type of $ for Arrington(Peterson deal)...as much as i like what he can do for this team, i just can't see it happening...I hope Marvin can pull a rabbit out of his hat...

It's possible. I could argue that, out of the top 50-100 prospects in this draft, you have a higher ratio of decent LB than either the DT or DE position. I could also argue that, generally speaking, it takes a rookie LB less time to contribute than a rookie DT. Langston Moore? Mathias Askew?

First, neither Moore or Askew were 1st day draft picks. Next, I won't argue that LB'ers aren't easier to find than defensive lineman...especially in a week year for DT's and DE's. However, if the Bengals have determined that this years crop of FA DT's are too expensive, a poor fit, too old, or just so much warm crap...(ahem)...then a strategy of using at least one, if not both of it's first two draft picks should solve a lot of their problems. Add a new starter at SS (Done!) and a high impact pass rushing OLB (Maybe!!!) and this teams defense is suddenly transformed.

"Back" in town? Does anybody really think he was in Cincy on Sunday/Monday (as the rumors said) then came back on Wednesday/Thursday?

More proof that you can't believe everything you read.

Agreed. I can show you at least three sources that wrote about Arrington's trip to Cincy this weekend, but it doesn't sound like it's happened yet. In addition, I'm sure that Lance McAlister got something he wrote about Arrington since he argued both sides...they'll get him...they're done...but I don't trust him.