Lavar Arrington: The Saga Continues

The Big Orange

And for all of the hand wringing being done none of the paralyzed objects of desire, Fat Sam or Crazy Lavar, have signed with other teams.

Sam and LaVar aren't factors in what's going on. The Bengals have only -- at most -- a polite interest in them, and one that would only be addressed about this time next month if either were still on the market and willing to accept low/minimum deals.

See, I knew you could agree with me about something....even if you didn't know you were doing it. Come to think of it that's probably the only way you could do it.

Your remarks indicate that you think Lances's recent analysis was off base. (Ding!) And your point about the Bengals having only polite interest in the players being discussed shows very well how little the Bengals plans would be hurt if those players signed elsewhere. (Ding!)

Of course I can't give you a perfect score because you did use analysis you didn't believe as an excuse to criticize the Bengals for not signing players they aren't interested in signing at greatly inflated prices.

Still, I'm giving you a passing grade.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say get him here.

I know I'm on drugs, but yours are obviously better.

i'm gonna use some of your lines.

GET A CLUE ASSHAT, Lavar isn't an upgrade at all. He plays out of position all the time and basically does whatever he wants on the field regardless of the defensive call. For every Sportscenter play he gives you he'll be out of position for a TD. I have absolutely ZERO interest in this turd. On top of that, you wanna give him 6 mill :blink: Once again using on of your lines, GET A f**kIN CLUE! Marvin stated he's the most undisciplined player EVER!!!!!!!!!

I'm just picking on you cause you posts sound like there's now way in hell everyone shouldn't just agree with you, and frankly, that annoys me.

Your remarks indicate that you think Lances's recent analysis was off base.

No, I don't. Go read it again. He makes no mention of Sam whatsoever and only a passing reference to Lavar. The problem is the unfilled QB spot, one and possibly more offers to their RFAs and o-line extensions discussions that are apparently not going anywhere fast.

These issues have zero to do with Sam and Lavar because neither player was in the Bengals' budget to begin with. Their problem now is 1. the QB spot is looking like it will be more money than they planned on, 2. RFAs may be more expensive than they planned on (or they'll have to go hunting in FA themselves or change their draft plans) and 3. crazy money being thrown at o-lineman by the likes of Cleveland and Minnesota has blown their budgetary model for extending the o-line to bits. So is it any surprise that they're looking at cutting, renegotiating, not matching offers -- i.e. running around in budgetary circles and getting nowhere?

Anyhow, back on the subject of His Arringtonness, the Miami media reports he wants 6 bills a year...

Dolphins | Team only discussed preliminary numbers with Arrington; price is too high

Sat, 18 Mar 2006 07:16:13 -0800

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins have spoken with free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) and preliminary numbers were discussed, according to an NFLPA source. The Dolphins' priority is clearly Arrington, who visited last week. But Arrington's asking price is reported to be in the $6 million-a-year range, which is probably too rich for Miami.

Your remarks indicate that you think Lances's recent analysis was off base.

No, I don't. Go read it again. He makes no mention of Sam whatsoever and only a passing reference to Lavar. The problem is the unfilled QB spot, one and possibly more offers to their RFAs and o-line extensions discussions that are apparently not going anywhere fast.

I don't see waiting on a QB as a problem. The Bengals have to know that they can get a Jamie Martin quality QB now, later, or in the draft. So slowing the pursuit so they can take their shot at one of the better QB's who have just shaken loose costs them nothing, as the worst case scenario still nets them Jamie Martin or his younger cheaper clone.

BTW, I can make the same argument for the DT position and the fat bastards being considered. Whatever interest their might be in signing them has to be weighed against which younger players will be available in the draft. And if the old fat bastards being considered are asking for 3 million per....I'd have no interest whatsoever.

I don't see waiting on a QB as a problem. The Bengals have to know that they can get a Jamie Martin quality QB now, later, or in the draft. So slowing the pursuit so they can take their shot at one of the better QB's who have just shaken loose costs them nothing, as the worst case scenario still nets them Jamie Martin or his younger cheaper clone.

Like I said in another thread, I don't think it's a case of the Bengals slowing their pursuit. It's a case of nobody being very interested in the job (aside from, apparently, Tony Banks :puke:). The Bengals have a near-$100 million committment to Palmer, so it's a dead end for a younger guy, and guys like Martin can have their pick of a half-dozen 3rd-string minimum-NFL-wage jobs.

It's not a problem in that they will get someone eventually, but it is a problem in that it now looks to drag on indefinitely. And they stated quite clearly and quite often that they planned to sign a QB in the 1st week. Instead they have another space in the budget that's a question mark, and costs rising everywhere.

BTW, I can make the same argument for the DT position and the fat bastards being considered. Whatever interest their might be in signing them has to be weighed against which younger players will be available in the draft. And if the old fat bastards being considered are asking for 3 million per....I'd have no interest whatsoever.

Like I said a week or two ago, if they sign Sam, great. If they don't, great. I'd say the same thing for Grady. Given their complete lack of interest in both DL and TE during FA, despite a pretty decent selection at both positions, I have to think that's where they are going in the draft.

I say bring him for the following reasons:

1- Would be one of the bigger off season FA signings (no more Bengals laughing stock FA visits just to negoitate price with another team)

2- Sick of some of the 'cup cake' LB's we have put on the field in the past couple of years

3- A defensive player with an attitude- that is a good thing! As long as Marvin can keep him in check I say let him run loose some times- call him the CJ of the Defense.

I say bring him for the following reasons:

1- Would be one of the bigger off season FA signings (no more Bengals laughing stock FA visits just to negoitate price with another team)

2- Sick of some of the 'cup cake' LB's we have put on the field in the past couple of years

3- A defensive player with an attitude- that is a good thing! As long as Marvin can keep him in check I say let him run loose some times- call him the CJ of the Defense.

I can honestly say I disagree with everything you said...

#1. Yeah, lets run right our and spend 6 million a year at a position we are currently not lacking in, just to say we had a "big signing" and "we aren't laughing stocks anymore". Hello 11-5 last year... Nough said.

#2. Cup cake LB's ?? I think Mr. Thurman would like to have a conversation with you about that. Not to mention B. Simmons and Landon Johnson.

#3. Attitude is not what we need with the young defense we have. There is nothing stating for sure the "attitude" you speak of is going to be a positive one and are you banking on Marvin "controlling" him like Chris Henry got controlled ???

I just think there are many other ways to spend 6 million a year and it doesn't include ignoring the fact our o-line needs to be extended and our d-line still sucks monkey balls.

WHODEY !!!

It's not a problem in that they will get someone eventually, but it is a problem in that it now looks to drag on indefinitely. And they stated quite clearly and quite often that they planned to sign a QB in the 1st week. Instead they have another space in the budget that's a question mark, and costs rising everywhere.

((shrug))

Frankly, so what? You don't seem to be arguing the point that if they can get at a much later date the same quality of backup QB they're currently saying no to. So why not tweak your original plan to strike fast and see if you can't entice one of the better options to say yes...even if it's unlikely? Are teams lining up for Jamie Martin and Tony Banks? I don't think so.

If the Bengals have flushed their original plan to sign a veteran backup QB in the 1st week of free agency it's because they can. New players became available. Trade options had to be explored. It takes time to take a run at a player you know from the start won't have strong interest in signing with you, but your team would be better off if they did. But where are the Bengals harmed by rolling the dice?

I say settle for a Tony Banks or Jamie Martin only when you've exhausted your options, and that includes using a draft pick on a prospect that fits into your plans for longer than 4 or 6 games.

Frankly, so what? You don't seem to be arguing the point that if they can get at a much later date the same quality of backup QB they're currently saying no to.

Again, I don't think they're saying no to anyone, it's that no one is rushing to say yes to them. As for the "so what?" well, don't look at me. I seem to be the only one around here who isn't pining for something, be it Sam Adams, LaVar Arrington or (in your case) an o-line extension. And it's the Bengals who appear to be all hung up over a backup QB search at the expense of doing anything else.

Our current corp of LB is ok. Here me? Just OK. This is the same defense that REEKED against KC and against the Squeelers when it counted. If they were better than that, some of them would have been to a Pro-Bowl or at least an alternate. Some of them may have the potential for a Pro-Bowl at some time in the future, but there is no guarantee. Why would we not seek a bona-fide Pro-Bowl LB. Arrington has been to the Pro-Bowl and is probable to make it back if coached in the right system. Maybe if we sign Arrington, we cant extend Willie. I love Willie and he may have some Pro-Bowls left in him, but if our defense is better we wont need to score as many points on offense.

:bengal:

Ok, and how much better would our LB's be if they had ANYONE on the d-line worth a ratsass ?? I'll tell you... They would all look like beasts because someone would be picking up the o-linemen and clogging holes enabling the LB's to show the speed and athleticism they were drafted for remember ?? Holy hell people are you seriously that pleased with our d-line that you are willing to blame our issues on the LB's ?? Not to mention they are only getting better. Odell and Pollack are going to be much improved with another year in the system and with Madman back and another solid partner in Jackson, all we need is a decent d-line to bring it all together.

WHODEY !!!

Frankly, so what? You don't seem to be arguing the point that if they can get at a much later date the same quality of backup QB they're currently saying no to.

Again, I don't think they're saying no to anyone, it's that no one is rushing to say yes to them.

C'mon, do you really think Jamie Martin, Jim Miller, Chris Redman, Tommie Maddox, or Tony Banks are holding out for a starters job to open up somewhere else?

The guys who are reluctant to say yes to the backup job are a cut or two above that group, and I see no downside at all in making a run at the better options. What does allowing the situation to play out for awhile longer hurt?

Settle for less later on if you have to, but don't do it now.

C'mon, do you really think Jamie Martin, Jim Miller, Chris Redman, Tommie Maddox, or Tony Banks are holding out for a starters job to open up somewhere else?

What I really think is that Jamie Martin, Jim Miller, Chris Redman, Tommie Maddox, and Tony Banks aren't any better than Johnson, Krenzel and a mid-round pick, so why bother? The money they'd cost could be spent in more worthwhile fashion elsewhere.

The guys who are reluctant to say yes to the backup job are a cut or two above that group, and I see no downside at all in making a run at the better options. What does allowing the situation to play out for awhile longer hurt?

Hey, don't look at me. I'm not the one who spent the weeks before free agency talking about how important it was to get a No. 2 in quick -- within the first week -- presumably to give them as much time to absorb the playbook and take snaps as possible. That was Marvin & Co. Now a week-plus into FA the tune has changed to "don't worry, be happy." Okay-fine. But if it wasn't a problem, why all the pre-FA bluster about the backup QB, Marvin?

Settle for less later on if you have to, but don't do it now.

Well, frankly, I'd rather "settle" for the best possible player, y'know? I mean, they obviously think having a backup capable of starting at least part of the season to be pretty important, right? In fact, you could argue that if the season comes and Palmer still isn't ready, and all we have is junk in the way of backups (see above), then the season's screwed. In that case, what makes more sense: ID the guy you think fits best and go get him...or sit around and wait for prices to fall?

Bengals | Team has not talked to Arrington?

Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:40:30 -0800

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports there have been reports saying the Cincinnati Bengals have talked to free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins), but indications are there look to be no talks or official visit lined up yet.

OK, are you guys still sure about this Arrington coming here ??? Seeing as how Peterson signed for 7 years 54 million and 18.5 guaranteed, I see this getting less and less likely...

WHODEY !!!

Bengals talk with Griese's agent

BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Bengals talked Monday to Brian Griese's agent, and Ralph Cindrich said he and the Bengals will talk contract again today.

Cindrich also is talking with the Chicago Bears about the veteran quarterback.

The club did not hammer out the final details of its agreement on a two-year contract with wide receiver Antonio Chatman, who caught 49 passes for the Packers last season.

Also, various reports suggest that former Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington is talking seriously with the Bengals and coach Marvin Lewis about a free-agent contract.

Efforts to confirm the reports through agents Carl and Kevin Poston's and Arrington's publicist Monday were not successful.