Lavar Arrington: The Saga Continues

The Big Orange

If they are going to spin their wheels worrying about Walter or who might "make a run" at Washington and JJ, then they are idiots.....ALL can be replaced...in other words, your tendered them offers, and if they get offers, deal with it then...the priority is controlling controllables...as in, sign a QB, sing another impact Defensive player (an arrington or Adams) and get ready to draft...jeez.

I mean, have you ever heard of a team worry or hand-wring so much over a 4th/5th WR????

Oh no, teams might be making a grab for our RFA's!!!!!!!....jesus, if they were so important, you'd have offered them extended deals....duh....

here's an example...let's say JJ gets grabbed...oh, dear Lord, whatsoever will they do????

How about draft this monster from Kansas State...not on any radar anywhere....and he's a hell of a good guy...no cheech and chong here.

Victor Mann FB (6-1¼, 279) ran on 40 in 4.49 and pulled his hamstring.

http://kansasstate.scout.com/2/438318.html

04.05.05.s.mann.ch.jpg

Dude is right on 280, give or take a large bowel movement, and ran a 4.49.....jesus. 280...4.49..leading Rudi off-tackle....jeremi who?

you see my point? ...Bengals..get on it....

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not reading anything in this post. All I know is that if Arrington signs with the Bengals it doesn't necessarily push toward a 3-4, but it's pretty damn close. Also, who the f**k wants to go to skyline with me tomorrow, cuz all my friends went without me today? peace out,

drunk.

If we can work it out to get Arrington... it will be another "whatever" in my book. I think it is a big risk for that kind of money. Our past risks didn't really cost much, so they were small risks. This would be more of a real Vegas style gamble. If he can get his act together, great... but if he doesn't, and is the LB version of T.O. we will be forced to lament for years and years.

But if we do decided to do this... (Kirk, this is directed to you)... I'm wondering why we would move Pollack back to DE? He would be fine there... but probably only in the 4-3 scheme. Mathis led the league in sacks in a 4-3 scheme, and that is the only way I see Pollack doing well. He's too small to take on several blockers.

So... if we get Arrington, I figure we stick with the 4-3, and Pollack moves to DE, or we switch to the 3-4 and Pollack stays at LB. I don't see both a scheme change and a Pollack switch though.

If we go 3-4 we are looking to get a big fat NT, Robinson could move to DE with Smith... Pollack will remains a LB, and Geathers will be the tweener at both DE and LB (he's that kind of size).

Fact is though... I doubt we move to the 3-4... and I doubt we get Arrington. This seems a lot like the Adams deal. I hear more talk coming from the player and his agent than from the Bengals showing any real interest. Time will tell.

From Lance Mcalister's blog,for what it's worth.

From my Bengals "peeps"

LaVar has spoken with Marvin, letting him know he wants to play for Cincinnati. The Bengals are in a bind to a certain extent.. They have Walter's deal to make a decision on and expect teams to make runs at both Kelley Washington and Jermei Johnson. And, of course, they need to get a QB signed. So without knowing what might be offered to Washington or Johnson the Bengals can't determine what is left or exactly how to proceed.

QB's in the mix also include Kerry Collins and a possible deal for Patrick Ramsey.The Bengals don't want to get caught in a financial bind that prevents them from taking care of their OL.They are looking at options to help them out that include who to cut and who to renegotiate with.

Sounds like a textbook case of "analysis paralysis" -- a business-world term for a situation where endless rounds of analysis, debate, and re-analysis substitute for decision-making. Willy is dead on in his advice: the important thing is to control the controllables.

From my Bengals "peeps"

LaVar has spoken with Marvin, letting him know he wants to play for Cincinnati. The Bengals are in a bind to a certain extent.. They have Walter's deal to make a decision on and expect teams to make runs at both Kelley Washington and Jermei Johnson. And, of course, they need to get a QB signed. So without knowing what might be offered to Washington or Johnson the Bengals can't determine what is left or exactly how to proceed.

QB's in the mix also include Kerry Collins and a possible deal for Patrick Ramsey.The Bengals don't want to get caught in a financial bind that prevents them from taking care of their OL.They are looking at options to help them out that include who to cut and who to renegotiate with.

Sounds like a textbook case of "analysis paralysis" -- a business-world term for a situation where endless rounds of analysis, debate, and re-analysis substitute for decision-making. Willy is dead on in his advice: the important thing is to control the controllables.

Yeah, I got another word for that, goes by the initials "CF" if you know what I mean. They need to get this damned backup QB done, if that's really holding them up, so they can do our D. Or, I don't know, set aside enough for what a backup should realistically cost and fix the D first.

Every team in the NFL has the same problem.....crunching numbers...isn't that what they are

payed to do? It really gets old hearing them whine.

It's a product of the way they do business. Note the line from Lance's blog that says: "So without knowing what might be offered to Washington or Johnson the Bengals can't determine what is left or exactly how to proceed."

The "what is left" problem stems from their insistence on using the cap as a hard ceiling. They don't see themselves as having $20 million (or whatever it is) in cap space, they see themselves as having $20 million to spend. And then they try to budget for everything -- rookies pool, injury cushion, etc. -- starting now. So every time something unexpected happens (like Sage getting a bigger-than anticipated offer from Houston or Walter getting an offer) the budget blows up and they have to re-do it. And then you have reports of Washington and/or JJ being offered, so now we have to do all sorts of re-budgeting calculations (if one if offered, if both are offered, if neither are offered, etc.). Then suddenly some good but more expensive QBs shake loose and suddenly you think maybe you should be budgeting more for that position so now everything has to be re-done again...

Well, you get the idea: budget analysis paralysis. Other teams don't get nearly as hung up on this as the Bengals do because they don't treat the cap as a limit on what they can spend. If a "surprise" pops up they can deal with it by pushing some money into the future. Or reworking some players' contract to open some space. So the Bengals end up sitting around largely waiting for other teams to make moves; their budget and cap strategy dictate that they be reactive, not proactive.

"Sure, but whose analysis are we talking about?

Clearly, the bengals....

someone get Mikey a copy of MS Office 2003 and a tutorial on Excel...with the way they do math he needs to retire the slide-rule and abbacus...

Did you ever think that there is no paralysis at all, merely a negotiating technique? Did you ever think that the Bengals know exactly who they want to sign, and that Adams agent THINKS it's Adams, but it isn't? Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe we are doing this the right way?

FREE AGENTS DO NOT MATTER.

Draft and consistancy and chemistry make for the wins.

TNBT, as one of Tory James's biggest fans, how can you say FA's don't matter???...especially since the starting CB's the year before he came were Burris and Hawkins..

I would agree that FA's usually don't matter and that the draft should be the priority..BUT....when your has big holes (our D) and the draft is not enough you need to get upgrades that will prove out quicker than Joe Rookie can progress...hence, bring in Adams and Arrington.

And for all of the hand wringing being done none of the paralyzed objects of desire, Fat Sam or Crazy Lavar, have signed with other teams.

Sam and LaVar aren't factors in what's going on. The Bengals have only -- at most -- a polite interest in them, and one that would only be addressed about this time next month if either were still on the market and willing to accept low/minimum deals.

TNBT, as one of Tory James's biggest fans, how can you say FA's don't matter???...especially since the starting CB's the year before he came were Burris and Hawkins..

I would agree that FA's usually don't matter and that the draft should be the priority..BUT....when your has big holes (our D) and the draft is not enough you need to get upgrades that will prove out quicker than Joe Rookie can progress...hence, bring in Adams and Arrington.

First of all, Arrington isn't an upgrade over what we have. He's a very talented linebacker, but a total underacheiver because he's too freaking lazy to keep a job. He reminds me of the 30 year old Spain still living in his parents basement smoking pot.

Secondly, FAs can help, but they aren't the big key. Yes, Tory and Deltha made a huge difference for us, but then again, we got them the same way we are doing things right now, didn't we!

Adams is a lazy fat man too. I think he could potentially be worse than Thornton. The fact is, if Beer Belly and Lazy Butt were the answers, and waiting to sign them until we have a real backup for our injured franchise QB is going to lose them, don't you think Washington or Cleveland would have signed them alreadY?

First of all, Arrington isn't an upgrade over what we have. He's a very talented linebacker, but a total underacheiver because he's too freaking lazy to keep a job. He reminds me of the 30 year old Spain still living in his parents basement smoking pot.

Horses**t. If you'd watched him, it's NOT that he's too lazy to keep a job. He works his ass off, they benched him for a while because he's the square peg that didn't work into Greg Williams' schemes. by the end of the year they finally realized that, yeah, having your best player on the bench is probably stupid, and he came up big when they played him in the playoffs. All that, to me, is more an indict of Williams than Arrington. He has a huge motor and a lot of talent.

He's a lot better than Simmons. He's better than Pollack right now. And more to the point, the person he'd probably knock off the field on passing downs would be one of our crappy D-linemen, since he'd allow Pollack to play more at end. I don't know what he's asking so I don't know if he's "worth" it, but he'd certainly be an upgrade, there's no doubt.

Horses**t. If you'd watched him, it's NOT that he's too lazy to keep a job. He works his ass off, they benched him for a while because he's the square peg that didn't work into Greg Williams' schemes. by the end of the year they finally realized that, yeah, having your best player on the bench is probably stupid, and he came up big when they played him in the playoffs. All that, to me, is more an indict of Williams than Arrington. He has a huge motor and a lot of talent.

He's a lot better than Simmons. He's better than Pollack right now. And more to the point, the person he'd probably knock off the field on passing downs would be one of our crappy D-linemen, since he'd allow Pollack to play more at end. I don't know what he's asking so I don't know if he's "worth" it, but he'd certainly be an upgrade, there's no doubt.

Agreed

Secondly, FAs can help, but they aren't the big key. Yes, Tory and Deltha made a huge difference for us, but then again, we got them the same way we are doing things right now, didn't we!

Adams is a lazy fat man too. I think he could potentially be worse than Thornton. The fact is, if Beer Belly and Lazy Butt were the answers, and waiting to sign them until we have a real backup for our injured franchise QB is going to lose them, don't you think Washington or Cleveland would have signed them alreadY?

Hey asshat get a friggn clue! How the hell can you say Arrington isn't an upgrade?! The guy has been to 2 Pro Bowls, how many has any of our LB's ever been to? Gee I can't remember. I do not think Adams is a lazy fat man, yes he is fat, but he is damn good. Way better than Thornton. You just don't want us to sign better players cause you are afraid that we will actually spend money. I want us to sign both of them just to piss you off and watch them both help our D and then sit there while you talk about how great they are. I know the day will happen. :lol:

I will add this too..

Bengals | Team keeping an eye on Arrington

Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:06:05 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Cincinnati Bengals are monitoring where free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) visits on an almost daily basis. It is possible the team is in the market to sign him.

From my Bengals "peeps"

In cards it's "think long, think wrong". Now we have the weekend ahead of us so what will get done in the next two days.

It's time to load up on defense. Ask Trent Dilfer about riding his D's coattails to a SB title. Get Adams and Arrington in here and quit fussing over the QB situation and the RFA's like KDub and JJ. They are a dime a dozen IMO.

From my Bengals "peeps"

In cards it's "think long, think wrong". Now we have the weekend ahead of us so what will get done in the next two days.

It's time to load up on defense. Ask Trent Dilfer about riding his D's coattails to a SB title. Get Adams and Arrington in here and quit fussing over the QB situation and the RFA's like KDub and JJ. They are a dime a dozen IMO.

You are the man :rockon: ...one of the very few that is on the Arrington,Adams bandwaggon

I would only worry about JJ though, he is to good to let good.

Possbily take one of the list of teams Arrington could play for...

Dolphins | Team only discussed preliminary numbers with Arrington; price is too high

Sat, 18 Mar 2006 07:16:13 -0800

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins have spoken with free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) and preliminary numbers were discussed, according to an NFLPA source. The Dolphins' priority is clearly Arrington, who visited last week. But Arrington's asking price is reported to be in the $6 million-a-year range, which is probably too rich for Miami.