Lavar Arrington: The Saga Continues

The Big Orange

A source familiar with his plans said that LaVar Arrington is talking seriously with other teams and has no plans to revisit the Giants.' It is believed that the Cincinnati Bengals have become the front-runner for his services, and he's expected to visit there in the coming days.

-- New York Daily News

...bring him on...I'm tired of seeing the Browns, Redskins, and Dolphins get all of the goodies...

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized this was posted on the other thread...my bad...I'd delete it, but I can't figure out why

or how

Don't worry, Big O, things will get merged eventually :lol:. Good to see you and hope things are good in your corner of the universe.

As for LaVar...I wouldn't complain a bit. But I don't think any of the reports are real, just rumor and speculation run amok in various sportswriters' needs to fill column inches.

I'm still not sure Arrington is any kind of upgrade for us.

To elaborate on that question, the issue is who he knocks off the field. If it's Simmons, it may or may not be an upgrade. If it's Pollack, we're wasting a whole lot of talent. Odell's sure as hell not going anywhere.

If it's Geathers, it means we're at least officially going to a hybrid "Patriots" 3-4, although in reality it's more like a 3.5-3.5, and that's probably the best scenario. If we sign Adams and get Bunk or another DT in the first two rounds, this could work out. Solid full-time front 3 of Adams, (other DT), Smith. LBs Simmons and Odell. Then pick two of Arrington, Pollack,and Geathers, depending on the situation. Safeties Madieu and either Jackson or someone from the draft. Corners Tory and Detha.

You gotta admit, that's a hell of an improvement on D.

Forget it Biggish O, we're Bengal fans and that means we want what we can't have, and don't desire what we're given.

Worse, many others can't stop thinking about the scrubs we've lost. Kitna wasn't THAT bad. Kevin Walter didn't score TD's, thus there was no embarrassing celebration to get us mad. And most intriquing of all, tears are being shed over the loss of Matt Schobel. Granted, it's only two tears and both were shed by Kaz, but still they fall.

I miss Ohalete already.

j/k

Forget it Biggish O, we're Bengal fans and that means we want what we can't have, and don't desire what we're given.

Worse, many others can't stop thinking about the scrubs we've lost. Kitna wasn't THAT bad. Kevin Walter didn't score TD's, thus there was no embarrassing celebration to get us mad. And most intriquing of all, tears are being shed over the loss of Matt Schobel. Granted, it's only two tears and both were shed by Kaz, but still they fall.

I miss Ohalete already.

j/k

I miss him too. It's good having a safety with a nickname like "OhellIgotburned." Or "OhellIcanttackle." You can't beat that.

Arrington is a BEAST when he wants to be, question is if Marvin can get that out of him on a consistent basis.

I will not miss the inconsistency and soft-play of Simmons either way.

I've also not seen Simmons' in any Pro Bowls...ever.

I'm trying to figure out how Arrington wouldn't be an upgrade to this crappy defense.

Arrington is a BEAST when he wants to be, question is if Marvin can get that out of him on a consistent basis.

I will not miss the inconsistency and soft-play of Simmons either way.

I've also not seen Simmons' in any Pro Bowls...ever.

I'm trying to figure out how Arrington wouldn't be an upgrade to this crappy defense.

You hit it. The only way he's not an upgrade is if they use him wrong. You have to give him a little freedom, but it'll pay off. I also think he learned a lesson this past year about how to maintain his instincts while playing within a system. I think whoever gets him this year will do so at a helluva discount. He's going to be pissed and have something to prove.

I think he'd look awesome in stripes. Hell, I might have to get an Arrington jersey just so I can wear it here in the DC area and rub it in the faces of all the Redskin fans.

There is no way in hell that the Bengals are going to sign Arrington as a free agent. Get serious. His agent has been trying to get a higher offer from the Giants than the one already on the table, and no other team has made him an offer. His agents are the slimeball Postons. Hey, here's a thought: Arrington's agents may be blowing smoke about the Bengals' " interest " in their client (as well as Arrington's in the Bengals) as a negotiating ploy vis-a-vis the Giants. Duh.

You guys are missing the whole point.

We're going to 3-4 (hence all the LB talk).. Arrington is the addition. Pollack goes to DE after some bulking up... Adams plays NT on rushing downs while Geathers plays during passing downs.

This is the transition boys. We're going base 3-4...

For those of you that copy and paste the standard "hey clown, we're not going 3-4"... think about it for a second. All this speculation from beat writers and interest of players the Bengals are generating only promotes it!

There is no way in hell that the Bengals are going to sign Arrington as a free agent. Get serious. His agent has been trying to get a higher offer from the Giants than the one already on the table, and no other team has made him an offer. His agents are the slimeball Postons. Hey, here's a thought: Arrington's agents may be blowing smoke about the Bengals' " interest " in their client (as well as Arrington's in the Bengals) as a negotiating ploy vis-a-vis the Giants. Duh.

You have NO idea how this will pan out. None. Neither do I. I'm siding on the fact that I think Arrington to Cincinnati is a good career move for him. First of all, one of his best seasons as a pro was with Marvin. He'd get less scrutiny and national media coverage in Cincy. It would be good for his career to come here. Will he? Who knows? But I'll give it a chance... why not?

However, if what you say is true, then you can personally send me an e-mail with a big fat "told you so". Until then, wait and see. :sure:

If we go to a 3-4 with Arrington, I would expect Pollack to remain at outside rush LB. You need two good rush LB's and Pollack and Arrington would be just that. If we stay at a 4-3, Pollack would move to DE. In a 3-4 I would expect Robinson and Smith to be your ends and Adams to be your NT, with Geathers and Thornton as backups. Then you would have LB's of Arrington and Pollack on the outside and Landon/Simmons and Odell in the middle.

I think they'll remain in a 4-3 and occassionally have Pollack stand up to make a 3-4 look and confuse the offense on where he is coming from.

I think we could sign Arrington if we really wanted to. While I haven't quite warmed to the idea as much as some, I don't think it should be in doubt he'd be an upgrade. The question is price and whether or not he's going to be a pain in the a**. I also agree with the notion that signing Arrington would be a huge sign that we really are going for the 3-4.

You guys are missing the whole point.

We're going to 3-4 (hence all the LB talk).. Arrington is the addition. Pollack goes to DE after some bulking up... Adams plays NT on rushing downs while Geathers plays during passing downs.

This is the transition boys. We're going base 3-4...

For those of you that copy and paste the standard "hey clown, we're not going 3-4"... think about it for a second. All this speculation from beat writers and interest of players the Bengals are generating only promotes it!

More to the point, who cares whether you call it a 3-4 or a 4-3. We have one player (Pollack) who can play both LB and DE, and Arrington's got a similar game. At that point, the only difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3 is whether Pollack has his hand on the ground.

The only place I disagree is with Geathers playing NT. The C and 2 G's would drive him back into the goalpost. If you want to call it a 3-4, I think you're looking at Adams as NT, with Smith a full time DE and Robinson/Geathers/(insert draft pick here) splitting time at the side where Pollack lines up as a DE/LB hybrid.

EDIT: Sorry fur basically duping you shworge, looks like I was writing the same thing at the same time! Guess I agree with ya!

If we go to a 3-4 with Arrington, I would expect Pollack to remain at outside rush LB. You need two good rush LB's and Pollack and Arrington would be just that. If we stay at a 4-3, Pollack would move to DE. In a 3-4 I would expect Robinson and Smith to be your ends and Adams to be your NT, with Geathers and Thornton as backups. Then you would have LB's of Arrington and Pollack on the outside and Landon/Simmons and Odell in the middle.

I think they'll remain in a 4-3 and occassionally have Pollack stand up to make a 3-4 look and confuse the offense on where he is coming from.

The popular theory is Landon and Thurmon inside, Simmons and Arrington outside. Pollack and Smith as the ends and Adams as the NT.

And I'm not sure Adams will sign, but check this out from Enquirer http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../603160339/1066

Once the Bengals sign a quarterback, free agent defensive tackle Sam Adams is expected to join the club, according to Adams' agent, Angelo Wright.

Is this going to happen? Who knows.

More to the point, who cares whether you call it a 3-4 or a 4-3.

Uhh, the defense. :P

On Geathers.. the coaches were pretty impressed when he played DT during some passing downs later in the season. So his name has been thrown around as a passing down DT IF Pollack goes DE... but during passing downs, I don't think the G or C would be allowed to push Geathers down the field. We'd get some good penalty yards.

The popular theory is Landon and Thurmon inside, Simmons and Arrington outside. Pollack and Smith as the ends and Adams as the NT.

Well then where do you put Bunk? ;)

I'd rather have Smith (DT from draft), Adams on the line, Simmons, Odell and Arrington as LBs, and Pollack playing DE/LB. That's why I say it wouldn't matter what you call it, the only difference is whether Pollack bends over, uh, so to speak, before the snap.

The advantage is a fantastic disguise for coverages and blitzes, as you'd have 5 legitimate pass rushers on the field at all times. You have 3 guys who are pure linemen, 2 guys who are pure LBs, and two guys in Pollack and Arrington that you just send out there to create havoc wherever they can find it.

This is sounding more and more positive as you all put your spin on it !!!

Question is.... Can we afford all of this ??

WHODEY !!!

Things that will happen before the Bengals sign LaVar Arrington:

-- Katie Blackburn named Miss America

-- George Bush converts to Islam, declares jihad vs. America

-- HairOnFire admits I'm right about anything

-- I admit HairOnFire is right about anthing

-- DPM says trade Chris Perry

Among other things... :lol: