Is Simmons on his way out?

Section 310

It seems the Bengals have a strong interest in linebackers. I know that the team "lost" Webster, but in the last couple of days we have heard mention of at least 3 backers coming to town for a visit...as well as talk of Arrington.

If they sign one or more LB's, I tend to believe that Simmons (a higher priced guy) will be gone.

Either way, I hope we get to see more of Caleb Miller this season.

If Arrington arrives and gets some real ca$h, then it may be buh-bye to Simmons...solely exchanging salaries bwtween two players.

I don't think anyone can argue that Simmons is as good as Arrington.

Fitment in our scheme is the next issue to be begged. Arrington can work weakside in a 4-3...it does not mean a sure switch to a 3-4...depends who we draft.

I'd prefer Arrington over Adams as I think Adams is nearing the end of his service life.

It says they need to replace Wilkins and Webster, and aren't wanting to use a mid-round draft pick on a LB again.

Simmons will not be re-signed after this year, ecspecially after they re-up the entire 0-line except for Braham and probably Williams.

Time for new blood, I hope Justin Smith is gone too after '06.

Simmons will not be re-signed after this year

Of course not. He's signed through 2008. Getting cut? Well, that's probably going to happen after '06... He’s scheduled to earn $2,840,000 in 2006, $3,300,000 in 2007, and $3,700,000 in 2008.

Time for new blood, I hope Justin Smith is gone too after '06.

ME TOO!

B) If BSims is cut, it will be because of Arrington being signed, otherwise i don't think he will be...the more i think about Arrington taking BSims spot the more I like :sure: even though I like LJ for it...

why in the hell would you guys want to get rid of justin . he is the only and i repeat the only d-lineman we have worth a s**t and not only that he is one hell of a run stuffer and a pretty damn good passrusher . his only problem is he has no help when marvin gets him some help watch out his number will go through the roof

why in the hell would you guys want to get rid of justin . he is the only and i repeat the only d-lineman we have worth a s**t and not only that he is one hell of a run stuffer and a pretty damn good passrusher . his only problem is he has no help when marvin gets him some help watch out his number will go through the roof

You're right, he is our best D-lineman, but I think that says a lot more about our D line than him.

I want to give JSmith another chance only because I don't know if it's him or he needs help...he has improved his ability to stop the run...if he gets some DL help and still can't get to the QB...he gots to go....FEDEX...

Simmons is the 2nd best LB in this team, and is the defensive leader.

I've lost faith in ML if he cuts one of our better defenders.

He is not a good leader if his defensive unit keeps sucking every year. Lets face it, Simmons is overrated. He couldn't read a screen if his life depended on it. And sometimes, he misses tackles. I like him, and he is a good guy, but it is time for him to go.I'd rather replace him with someone who will spark a fire on this D, and Lavar will do that.

Well IMO he isn't a natural leader, he's the quiter type, that actually does his job, why I love him so much.

How many 1st rounders are quiet, play to their potential, and then resign with the team at a reasonable contract when the franchise is in the dumps.

We have Odell thurman there to fire up our D.

simmons equals the defensive version of Willie.

Simmons is the 2nd best LB in this team, and is the defensive leader.

I've lost faith in ML if he cuts one of our better defenders.

He is not a good leader if his defensive unit keeps sucking every year. Lets face it, Simmons is overrated. He couldn't read a screen if his life depended on it. And sometimes, he misses tackles. I like him, and he is a good guy, but it is time for him to go.I'd rather replace him with someone who will spark a fire on this D, and Lavar will do that.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who cringed every time the opposition draws up a screen. I can't count how many times I'm screaming SCREEN!!!! at the TV, all the while watching Simmons run straight at the QB. Ugh.

Aside from screens, he's pretty solid though. I just can't understand how a solid vet like him still, after what, 8 years, STILL can't read a screen.

Simmons' contract makes him expendible, regardless of who else gets signed. I've been saying from Day 1 (on this board) that Landon will have his job eventually.

I still don't think Marvin will sign Arrington. After touting intelligent, versatile, affordable defenders for the past 3 years, he'd have a lot of explaining why he would pay big coin to a undisciplined, one-dimensional, expensive player like LaVar.

We need depth in our LB corps. By my count, we only have 5 LB's with any experience: Simmons, Odell, Pollack, Landon, Caleb. So expect to see, I think, 2 more signed in free agency and at least 1 drafted on Day 1. Or reverse that.

And when it happens, don't start talking about how we're switching to the 3-4.

B) If BSims is cut, it will be because of Arrington being signed, otherwise i don't think he will be...the more i think about Arrington taking BSims spot the more I like :sure: even though I like LJ for it...

Ditto....why is LJ not on anybody's list when talking about Bengals LBs? I think it is time for Johnson to take over for Simmons whether they sign LA or not. Simmons can be the "invisible man" for long stretches during games.

Simmons doesn't have a leadership bone in his body...nor does anyone on defense. Odell can fire guys up, but that isn't really leadership. Leadership brings out the best in people...Marvin has leadership...Zampese has leadership...Carson's got leadership, but not as much as Kitna (yet).

Currently Pollack is the guy with the most leadership potential on D. Last year he could do nothing but try to catch up and switch between positions. If he could stay at DE it would do more for the defense than positional clarification and excellence. The Browns just got a great leader in Willie McGinnest...Obviously the Ravens have a great leader in Ray Lewis...Porter seems to be the standard-bearer in Pittsburgh, but I don't think he was/is very good at it.

Marvin has tried desperately to bring in veterans he thought could provide some of that...James, Webster, Deltha, Herring, and Hardy. None of them have worked out. If Pollack can move into that leadership role, we will be a force...of course some power and hitting (Adams, Arrington, and Jackson) can't hurt.