Tracking the Cleveland Spending Spree

Dan2330

ESPN had a quick story on reporting that the Browns web site mentioned a deal was done with Pat's wide receiver Givins, but the story was not true. Apparently Givins was so ticked off about the story he decided to bypass Cleveland and visit other teams.

Nice move Brownies! :P

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Browns will attract someone to play for them if for no other reasons then, Romeo Crennel, and LOTS OF CASH !!! I still hate the Browns, but think they will have a MUCH better season next year. Oh yeah, I DO think Charlie Frye is going to have a larger impact this year and in years to come.

WHODEY !!!

He didn't do that bad last year when he got in there and this year he will have dumbass Winslow and Braylon Edwards back. That certainly can't hurt them. Their running game isn't that bad either with Droughns. If their defense lives up to potential, they could have a better than average season... Here's to hoping they won't !!!

WHODEY !!!

call it what it is!!! it's what FA's did to the bengals for so long; use them to get real teams to pony up the $$$! man, it totally looks different from the other side...you know, before marvin. not like the bengals are gonna sign anyone big anyway. other than our own offensive lineman, i hope!!!

"sign the left side!"

This is probably the single biggest problem with the new collective bargaining agreement. There is now so much money out there for teams to use... and a pretty damn shallow FA pool to choose from. What does this mean? Free Agents will be able to demand much more than their market value, and probably get it. I would love Kemo... and he would certainly help our D-Line... but I will be very surprised if I see Mike Brown cough up that much money for a guy like that.

With Brown's philosophy of never overpaying (which is not a bad philosophy) we are not likely to land anybody of real consequence. We were in great cap shape before... but this new deal put a lot of teams in great shape... and these other teams have not been shy about overspending in the past, so nothing will probably change now with a bigger cap.

The Bengals will continue to be safe with their cap money... and we will probably be in even better shape next year. The only bright side I see is that with the new deal, we should have enough to extend Chad and our O-Line.... maybe we'll be able to land a guy next year when the market evens out.

No Givens? No problem. Cleveburg retargeting on Jurevicius...

Browns | Jurevicius expected to visit Sunday

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:13:26 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free agent WR Joe Jurevicius (Seahawks) will visit with the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, March 12. It is believed the two sides are closing in on a four-year deal.

They have about $30 mil to spend, so you know they aint done yet

Yeah, but the Bentley deal alone is still going to be a big hit:

Browns | Contract update: L. Bentley

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:48:13 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Cleveland Browns OL LeCharles Bentley's new deal with the Cleveland Browns is a six-year, $36 million contract. Bentley had serious talks with the Philadelphia Eagles, but the Browns put the heat on him, offering a contract that includes $12.5 million in guaranteed money up front and averages $6 million per year.