The draft is blowing up right now.

HairOnFire

Schefter is reporting a Matt Cassel trade agreement between Kansas City and New England is being held up by a mystery team making a last minute counter offer, Cassel attempting to force a trade to the teamof his choosing, OR due to New Englands reluctance to draft in the top 5....a 3rd team becoming involved that is willing to trade up into the Chiefs current slot.

In regards to the latter....we're perfectly positioned.

Just saying....

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schefter is reporting a Matt Cassel trade agreement between Kansas City and New England is being held up by a mystery team making a last minute counter offer, Cassel attempting to force a trade to the teamof his choosing, OR due to New Englands reluctance to draft in the top 5....a 3rd team becoming involved that is willing to trade up into the Chiefs current slot.

In regards to the latter....we're perfectly positioned.

Just saying....

I'd say the third team would almost have to be a team that wants one of the top QB prospects or Crabtree. None of the tackles or defensive players are worth trading up to number 3 to get.

I'd say the third team would almost have to be a team that wants one of the top QB prospects or Crabtree. None of the tackles or defensive players are worth trading up to number 3 to get.

Pure speculation but if there had been a 3rd team involved one of the incentives to move up is the chance to pass less than full trade value. In short, Kansas City would have agreed to take less because they were acting with New Englands interests in mind, and Schefter had suggested previously the Patriots might not want to move into the top 5 due to the money involved. Under that scenraio the Bengals could have been perfect trade partner for the Chiefs who then trade a lower pick to New England. In return, the Bengals pay less than full price for the chance to move up and select Curry or Jason Smith.

EDIT: It's a done deal now...with no 3rd team said to be involved. In fact, the trade involves a 2nd rounder, not the Chiefs 1st rounder.

Pure speculation but if there had been a 3rd team involved one of the incentives to move up is the chance to pass less than full trade value. In short, Kansas City would have agreed to take less because they were acting with New Englands interests in mind, and Schefter had suggested previously the Patriots might not want to move into the top 5 due to the money involved. Under that scenraio the Bengals could have been perfect trade partner for the Chiefs who then trade a lower pick to New England. In return, the Bengals pay less than full price for the chance to move up and select Curry or Jason Smith.

EDIT: It's a done deal now...with no 3rd team said to be involved. In fact, the trade involves a 2nd rounder, not the Chiefs 1st rounder.

Looks like a great move by both teams then. Chiefs find a starting QB for a second rounder and open up the first round of the draft for them, and the Pats get a high second round pick and unload a huge one year salary.

Draft optimism from HOF. :o

I have now officially seen it all :D

I saw it I tell 'ya. I saw it clear as day and as bright as noon. It was all there.

And then it popped like a soap bubble.

:lol:

Giddy optimism aside, the draft did blow up a little. Kansas City is no longer in the QB market and New England will now selct ahead of the Bengals in the 2nd. So there's that.

Draft optimism from HOF. :o

I have now officially seen it all :D

I saw it I tell 'ya. I saw it clear as day and as bright as noon. It was all there.

And then it popped like a soap bubble.

Giddy optimism aside, the draft did blow up a little. Kansas City is no longer in the QB market and New England will now selct ahead of the Bengals in the 2nd. So there's that.

That probably kissed Connor Barwin goodbye for us right there. I just don't see any way he survives past the Browns and the Pats in the second round.

The Chiefs still have a ton of options..they still have an unhappy RB in Larry Johnson that wants out, and they have an unhappy TE in Gonzalez that wants to play for a winner. This could be a huge youth movement for them. Too bad the Bengals couldn't have been as smart as the Patriots to franchise a player and trade them. Everyone knew there was no way the Patriots were going to pay 2 QB's top 5 money. The Bengals could have franchised TJ and gotten a high second round pick for him at least. But instead they franchised a kicked who would have probably signed a long term contract with the Bengals regardless, and let TJ walk getting zero for their invested time in him. These are the kind of problems that are inevitable when you don't have a football mind in a GM position. Bill Parcells would probably be skeeting himself if he was the Bengals GM going into this offseason. There is so much potential to build a winning team right now and it seems like the Bengals fail every stepping stone. So what is the next move that makes the Bengals the butt of jokes on every national tv show? I am betting (pun intended) that Vick shows up in stripes. With a Bengal, the protesters will be fighting like cats and dogs outside PBS.

The Bengals could have franchised TJ and gotten a high second round pick for him at least. But instead they franchised a kicked who would have probably signed a long term contract with the Bengals regardless, and let TJ walk getting zero for their invested time in him.

We all know the odds but keep something in mind. TJ hasn't walked yet and the offer the Bengals have on the table is probably a very good one.

The Bengals could have franchised TJ and gotten a high second round pick for him at least. But instead they franchised a kicked who would have probably signed a long term contract with the Bengals regardless, and let TJ walk getting zero for their invested time in him.

We all know the odds but keep something in mind. TJ hasn't walked yet and the offer the Bengals have on the table is probably a very good one.

About the same odds as you giving Shulasteakhouse a compliment? Or maybe agreen donating time to a battered women's shelter? Or how about the same as the odds that Joe Wrong makes a good argument about something?

Steal of the century for the Chiefs. They essentially get BOTH Vrabel and Cassell for the #34 pick overall. Lombardi says that the word around the league is that Casell is one of the 7th or 8th best QB's in the enitre league and you get a proven defensive leader in Vrabel, as they convert to the 3-4.

BENGALS SPIN: The #3 pick just got more interesting. It definitely won't be Sanchez, but it's definitely not a OT, DT, or OLB, either. This pick is starting to smell like Crabtree or a trade, unless they think Curry/Vrabel can be good inside.

Steal of the century for the Chiefs. They essentially get BOTH Vrabel and Cassell for the #34 pick overall. Lombardi says that the word around the league is that Casell is one of the 7th or 8th best QB's in the enitre league and you get a proven defensive leader in Vrabel, as they convert to the 3-4.

BENGALS SPIN: The #3 pick just got more interesting. It definitely won't be Sanchez, but it's definitely not a OT, DT, or OLB, either. This pick is starting to smell like Crabtree or a trade, unless they think Curry/Vrabel can be good inside.

I say trade Chad to KC for Larry Johnson then sign Ward. A 1-2 combo of Larry Johnson and Derrick Ward would be awesome. Then if KC wanted, they could draft Crabtree and have a pretty nice group with Cassell, Chad, Crabtree, and Gonzalez. That is a lot of weapons.

I say trade Chad to KC for Larry Johnson then sign Ward. A 1-2 combo of Larry Johnson and Derrick Ward would be awesome. Then if KC wanted, they could draft Crabtree and have a pretty nice group with Cassell, Chad, Crabtree, and Gonzalez. That is a lot of weapons.

Negatory Ghost Rider, I would much rather trade Chad for one first round pick and select Knowshawn or Beanie and save myself a ridiculous amount of money in the process.

The only way that trade would work is if they traded us first round picks and LJ decided to take a pay cut!

Also got Vrabel in the deal...

Curry will be the pick at #3

Being that they just got rid of their 2nd losing any chance of getting COnnor Barwin or another end who falls out of the 1st....

I still could see them going Defensive End to replace what they lost in Jared Allen

They alredy have Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali and now Mike Vrabel who are OLB's (Johnson and especially Hali are recent 1st rounders). They also play are switching to a 3-4, hence the Vrabel trade. I think it's either Crabtree or possibly Raji, who would play NT next to Dorsey.

They need a WR badly, but Crabtree might be too much like Dwayne Bowe.

Also got Vrabel in the deal...

Curry will be the pick at #3

Being that they just got rid of their 2nd losing any chance of getting COnnor Barwin or another end who falls out of the 1st....

I still could see them going Defensive End to replace what they lost in Jared Allen

They alredy have Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali and now Mike Vrabel who are OLB's (Johnson and especially Hali are recent 1st rounders). They also play are switching to a 3-4, hence the Vrabel trade. I think it's either Crabtree or possibly Raji, who would play NT next to Dorsey.

They need a WR badly, but Crabtree might be too much like Dwayne Bowe.

Is Dorsey a 3-4 DT? If not let's trade for him!

Curry to the Chiefs, Orakpo to the Browns. Sad...

I kind of think it might fall that way now, too. I'm curious to see what Maclin, Maybin and Evertte Brown do at their Pro Days. Brown is one name that hasn't been mentioned and Marvin LOVES University of Florida guys (it was reported tha the Bengals strongly consider Derrick Harvey last year, who went on to have a strong rookie season). Brown also had a great combine and fills a definite need.