TJ Quoted in MMQB

damiancasey

He is exactly right thou. The confidence level on this team is so low it's not even funny. With all these "weapons" you have on offense and you kick a field goal on fourth-and-1 from just inside the 2-yard line? Start coaching like you believe in your players, and stop sending them the message that you don't.

I can sense a bit of bitterness towards that 4th and 1 call from the players.

I truly believe Marvin completely lost what was left of his respect from the the team with that gutless call.

What you see is frustrations for a season gone bad....

I think Marvin needs to print up some t-shrits with one word, "Humility". Yes, we have a talented team but who doesn't, every team has talent so it comes down to things like execution, discpline, and team work..which if you compare to the more successful teams you will see that we don't have as much as we would like.

The below is from Rabinowitz' (Columbus Dispatch Bengals beat writer) story in today's Dispatch. It concerns the field goal on 4th down.

"The decision stunned Bengals players.

"It's kind of like when you tell a kid, 'You can have some candy,' and then be like, 'Nah, not right now,' " receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said.

But then Houshmandzadeh, like his teammates, deferred to Lewis' judgment.

"It's his call," he said. "He's been coaching longer than I've been playing."

One player, overhearing a teammate offer similar diplomatic words, muttered under his breath, "(Bleep) that."

To be fair to the players, they'd just been humiliated. But I almost have to laugh at this attitude amongst some players and fans. To believe that, yep, we'd have sure gotten 'em if only we could have gone for it on 4th down is a joke. The Bengals were soundly beaten in every facet of the game before and after the field goal. So unless the 4th down "go for it" play had resulted in our running back getting tackled into the Steelers sideline with such force that the impact broke Ben's arm, Holmes' leg, Ward's foot, and Parker's will, that play and the ensuing hubbub is just a tempest in a teacup.

The below is from Rabinowitz' (Columbus Dispatch Bengals beat writer) story in today's Dispatch. It concerns the field goal on 4th down.

"It's kind of like when you tell a kid, 'You can have some candy,' and then be like, 'Nah, not right now,' " receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said.

One player, overhearing a teammate offer similar diplomatic words, muttered under his breath, "(Bleep) that."

To be fair to the players, they'd just been humiliated. But I almost have to laugh at this attitude amongst some players and fans. To believe that, yep, we'd have sure gotten 'em if only we could have gone for it on 4th down is a joke. The Bengals were soundly beaten in every facet of the game before and after the field goal. So unless the 4th down "go for it" play had resulted in our running back getting tackled into the Steelers sideline with such force that the impact broke Ben's arm, Holmes' leg, Ward's foot, and Parker's will, that play and the ensuing hubbub is just a tempest in a teacup.

Exactly, the difference between a td and a field goal is 4 pts. and we lost by 11 pts. Marvin has gambled plenty of times, it was early and he can't tell the future to see how the game was going to play out.

Agree - not going for it on 4th and 1 may have been a bad decision but it's not why we lost the game. We lost the game b/c Pittsburgh beat us. I think fans and players are rallying around that 4th and 1 play because it's an obvious focal point for their frustrations.

I actually get why ML didn't go for it - he thought the game was going to be a lot closer.

Bottom line is that everyone - fans and players are pretty damn low right now (and that will probably effect play as well).

"That's why they're 5-2 and we're 2-5. Good teams put it in the end zone. Teams like us kick field goals.''

-- Cincinnati wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh after a 24-13 loss to Pittsburgh, the Bengals' seventh straight loss to the Steelers in Cincy.

This really speaks to the mood of the team...

What's funny all these people on here that were calling Peter King and idiot (I'm included) have disappeared. It seems like Peter

King actually knew what he was talking about concerning the Bengals. His quote " You don't go out and get basically just Leon Hall and think that your defense will be any better then it was last year". I had my rose colored glasses on thinking that are defense would all of sudden improve and that it was Tory James and Brian Simmons fault why our defense sucked, boy was I wrong. Leon Hall (thank God he's only a rookie) gets burned each week more then Tory James ever did as a Bengal. Brian Simmons was not the greatest linebacker in the world but we could count on him being on the field each week unlike Ahmad Brooks, I don't even think the Bengals coaching staff even knows when this guy is going to be back on the field. It's going to take a couple of years to build that defense up to a respectful level, those guys have not even got used to Ahmad Brooks playing and calling the signals it's going to take the whole year next year to build sometime of cohesion with the defense. I know draft wise we better not pick anything on the offense side of the ball except linemen.

I keep reading about this ... and the thing that keeps coming back in my mind is how criticized Cowher was for his almost identical decision. Heck, it was the very first thing that came into my mind when the timeout was called yesterday. BTW ... remember what occurred the following year for the Steelers? Then again, he surely had a defense that no one could question. Still, how strangely similar is this scenario?

Similar Questioned Decision

But I almost have to laugh at this attitude amongst some players and fans. To believe that, yep, we'd have sure gotten 'em if only we could have gone for it on 4th down is a joke. The Bengals were soundly beaten in every facet of the game before and after the field goal. So unless the 4th down "go for it" play had resulted in our running back getting tackled into the Steelers sideline with such force that the impact broke Ben's arm, Holmes' leg, Ward's foot, and Parker's will, that play and the ensuing hubbub is just a tempest in a teacup.

Pittsburgh is a better team, so it shouldn't have been a surprise to Marvin that they were going to beat them in every aspect of the game. I pointed out last week that the only way they can win the game is by taking some risks. This would include going for it on 4th & 1. The idiot statement of the year is that he didn't know they were going to drive the length of the field before the half. WHAT THE HE!! DEFENSE HAS HE BEEN WATCHING! IMO he simply had no clue what play to call, which is bad preparation and bad coaching.

SOP is ultimately responsible for the woes of the Bengals, but it can not be lost that Marvin is a horrible game coach. Taking calculated risks is one thing, but flat out making basic coaching mistakes is quite another. For example, his decision to go for 2 at Seattle. He later admitted that he just made a mistake. If you can't do basic math, how can you be expected to manage the game?

I would take Mike Martz at this point. At least you know that they would maximize their offense, which has turned rather pedestrian of late. In fact, I'm going on record as saying they should hire Mike Martz. He would love the job and at least they would be entertaining. Buddy Ryan must have another kid that can run the defense right????

You're right, going for it on fourth and 1 would have potentially only been a 4 point difference, but that's not the point. The point is by NOT going for it on 4th and 1, Marvin basically told his players that he had no faith in them. In that one play, he had a chance to make a statement. That statement being that we're here to win. But no, he p*ssied out. I'm telling you, the players have no respect for Marvin now. With that one player he basically told the players that he didn't believe they could succeed.

And believe or not, that play did have a huge impact on the game. Even if we would have failed on 4th and 1, Pittsburgh would not have scored a TD before the half and it's only 14-6 at halftime. Plus the mental impact it would have had on this team because the coach showed them he had faith they could get the job done would have been huge.

I believe it's safe to say these players are done with Marvin Lewis.

You're right, going for it on fourth and 1 would have potentially only been a 4 point difference, but that's not the point. The point is by NOT going for it on 4th and 1, Marvin basically told his players that he had no faith in them. In that one play, he had a chance to make a statement. That statement being that we're here to win. But no, he p*ssied out. I'm telling you, the players have no respect for Marvin now. With that one player he basically told the players that he didn't believe they could succeed.

And believe or not, that play did have a huge impact on the game. Even if we would have failed on 4th and 1, Pittsburgh would not have scored a TD before the half and it's only 14-6 at halftime. Plus the mental impact it would have had on this team because the coach showed them he had faith they could get the job done would have been huge.

I believe it's safe to say these players are done with Marvin Lewis.

More accurately, I believe it's safe to say you just made that up.

There are 8 games left to be played and I am the hook for the rest of the season as far as my DirectTV Sunday Ticket package is concerned, so they better come out playing there jobs are on the line, because they are. It's not the good times when you see what people are made of, it when times get tough do u really see what they are all about. Like New Edition sang "Sunny days, Everybody loves them,..tell me can you stand the rain"...well folks it's like Seattle around here and I want to know who's got their umbrellas?

I think these next 8 weeks will determine the future of the team, I think besides a few key players everyone has to be evaulated and see if they are part of the problem or the solution.

But I almost have to laugh at this attitude amongst some players and fans. To believe that, yep, we'd have sure gotten 'em if only we could have gone for it on 4th down is a joke. The Bengals were soundly beaten in every facet of the game before and after the field goal. So unless the 4th down "go for it" play had resulted in our running back getting tackled into the Steelers sideline with such force that the impact broke Ben's arm, Holmes' leg, Ward's foot, and Parker's will, that play and the ensuing hubbub is just a tempest in a teacup.

Pittsburgh is a better team, so it shouldn't have been a surprise to Marvin that they were going to beat them in every aspect of the game. I pointed out last week that the only way they can win the game is by taking some risks. This would include going for it on 4th & 1. The idiot statement of the year is that he didn't know they were going to drive the length of the field before the half. WHAT THE HE!! DEFENSE HAS HE BEEN WATCHING! IMO he simply had no clue what play to call, which is bad preparation and bad coaching.

SOP is ultimately responsible for the woes of the Bengals, but it can not be lost that Marvin is a horrible game coach. Taking calculated risks is one thing, but flat out making basic coaching mistakes is quite another. For example, his decision to go for 2 at Seattle. He later admitted that he just made a mistake. If you can't do basic math, how can you be expected to manage the game?

I would take Mike Martz at this point. At least you know that they would maximize their offense, which has turned rather pedestrian of late. In fact, I'm going on record as saying they should hire Mike Martz. He would love the job and at least they would be entertaining. Buddy Ryan must have another kid that can run the defense right????

As long as Lewis has Carson Palmer behind him in the locker room, the team will still be his. Once he loses Carson, the players will follow and Brown will have to act. Unlike many of you, I think Marvin can coach. He took this god for saken team to 11-5 before injuries and suspensions took their toll. But he is far from being the only one not producing. Its a long list of players too, some in their contract year, some in UFA next season. There

will be lots of coaching changes coming up, possible starting with D co-ordinator before the end of the season. But gang, the player turnover will be huge.

Gone will be Justin Smith for certain and most of these names Thornton, Robinson, Landon, Caleb, Deltha, Jackson, Madieu.

As I see it, only Peko, Geathers, JJ and Hall are locks to start next season, everywhere else will have new starters.

... Like New Edition sang "Sunny days, Everybody loves them,..tell me can you stand the rain"...well folks it's like Seattle around here and I want to know who's got their umbrellas?

Did you really quote a New Edition song?

As long as Lewis has Carson Palmer behind him in the locker room, the team will still be his. Once he loses Carson, the players will follow and Brown will have to act. Unlike many of you, I think Marvin can coach. He took this god for saken team to 11-5 before injuries and suspensions took their toll. But he is far from being the only one not producing. Its a long list of players too, some in their contract year, some in UFA next season. There

will be lots of coaching changes coming up, possible starting with D co-ordinator before the end of the season. But gang, the player turnover will be huge.

Gone will be Justin Smith for certain and most of these names Thornton, Robinson, Landon, Caleb, Deltha, Jackson, Madieu.

As I see it, only Peko, Geathers, JJ and Hall are locks to start next season, everywhere else will have new starters.

On to better, more important things - like who the hell is that chick in your sig? Wowsa. Is she real? Time for a web search on her - if I can catch a name there buddy.

... Like New Edition sang "Sunny days, Everybody loves them,..tell me can you stand the rain"...well folks it's like Seattle around here and I want to know who's got their umbrellas?

Did you really quote a New Edition song?

Oh like you don't wake up every morning to New Edition's greatest hits blaring from your home stero system. <_<

I'm not the only one who still listens to them, right.. :huh:

tj's comments tell me they have lost their respect for marvin. as for the defense we all seen last season the defense suffered in a lot of areas. we knew lb's was a problem marvin did nothing. s/t's players and coaches where a problem marvin did nothing. the defensive coaching was a problem marvin did nothing. we keep the same old crap added 1db that's it. my point is that everything that is going on now for the most part could have been corrected but marvin with his hardheaded self stayed pat and chose to do nothing. so are you really surprised nothing has changed? except that this team is getting worse. i said at the end of last season that if marvin does not make some changes this team is in trouble now look at them. a f**king joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not about 4 more points. It's about an attitude....

Exactly :rant:

Yep. At the time, knowing where we are in the season, etc, I actually was fairly indifferent about which way the decision went. In hindsight, it is about attitude. Going for it there tells you a lot about the attitude ... not going for it does likewise. I know you'll get the majority opinion that folks have some built-in hatred of the Pats and Bilichick. That the popular opinion of the day is to jump their case for 'running up the score' or 'respect'. Blah. This is the NFL ... there is no higher level ... if you can't compete, then that is your fault. Running up the score in the NFL? This isn't pee-wee. This isn't your beer league softball ... there is no 'run rule'. If I am a Patriots fan, I couldn't care less what you think. It's about attitude ... and they have it and then some. They come out with the attitude this year that they are going to kick your butt and rub your face in the leftover. I'll take that. This attitude that we are at the top of the mountain and we dare you to climb that same mountain and try to knock us off it. Arrogance? Sure. It ain't braggin' if you can do it. Our team is nothing like that. We just look up the mountain, see the toes of the bully at the top, and wonder what the view might be. Screw that. Real men climb the mountain and dare someone to try to follow.

Yep. At the time, knowing where we are in the season, etc, I actually was fairly indifferent about which way the decision went. In hindsight, it is about attitude. Going for it there tells you a lot about the attitude ... not going for it does likewise. I know you'll get the majority opinion that folks have some built-in hatred of the Pats and Bilichick. That the popular opinion of the day is to jump their case for 'running up the score' or 'respect'. Blah. This is the NFL ... there is no higher level ... if you can't compete, then that is your fault. Running up the score in the NFL? This isn't pee-wee. This isn't your beer league softball ... there is no 'run rule'. If I am a Patriots fan, I couldn't care less what you think. It's about attitude ... and they have it and then some. They come out with the attitude this year that they are going to kick your butt and rub your face in the leftover. I'll take that. This attitude that we are at the top of the mountain and we dare you to climb that same mountain and try to knock us off it. Arrogance? Sure. It ain't braggin' if you can do it. Our team is nothing like that. We just look up the mountain, see the toes of the bully at the top, and wonder what the view might be. Screw that. Real men climb the mountain and dare someone to try to follow.

Right on duus!

If you don't want to get the score run up on you----STOP THEM FROM SCORING! Whining about getting run-up on is for sissies and losers.....SACK UP!

:angry:

Right on duus!

If you don't want to get the score run up on you----STOP THEM FROM SCORING! Whining about getting run-up on is for sissies and losers.....SACK UP!

:angry:

I prefer the phrase "Nut up," personally. All the same...

On to better, more important things - like who the hell is that chick in your sig? Wowsa. Is she real? Time for a web search on her - if I can catch a name there buddy.

Sorry, I wish I knew her name, number, address but I think I found her at http://www.hootersmagazine.com/....give it a look!