Compensatory Pick Guesstimate - 2008 - as of 20070415

ADVANCE NOTICE: Yes, I already started this topic in an older thread. However, it was my intent to continually update the opening post as we lost or gained free agents. Today, I tried to update the opening post of the original thread to reflect the loss of Anthony Wright, but was unable to do so.....ergo, I have started this new thread. Sorry.

-----(*)-----

I'm going to use this thread to track a guesstimate - based on the fact that it appears the Bengals are bound and determined to see a large net loss of free agents - of what compensatory picks the Bengal will be awarded in the 2008 draft.

I'll keep editing this first post as we lose more free agents (expected) and sign free agents (yeah right!)

It should be understood that the picks range from r3 to r7, there are 32 of them, and no team can accumulate more than 4 of them. I believe there are 8 picks awarded in each round, so to get a r3 pick, the loss has to be one of the 8 biggest. The loss of Adalius Thomas by the Ravens is (for example) arguably the biggest signing this season, but Steinbach was rated in the top 10 free agents (some rated him as high as #3) by most publications I reviewed, and therefore I consider his loss likely to earn us a r3 pick

that said, on with the guesstimate

Pick 1 - r3 - comp for the loss of Eric Steinbach (Cleveland) - no offsetting FA signed by Bengals

Pick 2 - r4 - comp for the loss of Tory James and Kelly Washington (New England) - no offsetting FA signed by Bengals

Pick 3 - r6 - comp for the loss of Kevin Kaesviharn (New Orleans) - no offsetting FA signed by Bengals

Pick 4 - r7 - comp for the loss of Anthony Wright (NY Giants) - no offseting FA signed by Bengals

Offsets - loss of Tony Stewart and Marcus Wilkins offset (mostly) by signing of OG\C Alex Stepanovich

Not applicable - loss of Brian Simmons - Brian was cut a day or two before FA started

Not applicable - any RFA loss - the material I've read indicates that *only* UFA gain/losses are considered for this purpose

Not sure why the Bengals didn't just let someone sign Brian Simmons away instead, thereby earning the possibility of another pick. Then again, the general management of the Bengals leaves much to be desired, even in the Marvin era.

Not sure why the Bengals didn't just let someone sign Brian Simmons away instead, thereby earning the possibility of another pick. Then again, the general management of the Bengals leaves much to be desired, even in the Marvin era.

Don't know if you forgot to edit this little gem out, but Brian Simmons wasn't a free agent (restricted or unrestricted). He was under contract. That means no one could just sign him away, and the Bengals wouldn't have been able to get any draft pick compensation.

No, I meant what I wrote, and no, he was not under contract when the FA period started....he was as I said released a few days prior to the opening of the FA period.

I included that comment just in case someone pointed out something like "what about how we lost Brian Simmons to New Orleans, don't we get compensation for that"?

Although I realizing that maybe only 0.00001% of you care.....

Since I really cannot edit this thread long term as the outlook changes, I am going to cover this content on another website and simply notify you all (again, the 0.00001% of you who care, plus the rest of ya, and even Haironfire) that I've updated the post over there.

So you can go there. To read it. Yeah. That'll happen :-)

*laff*

Anyway....check it out.....http://www.nflfans.com/x/showthread.php?p=122581#poststop

updated as of the signing of Michael Meyers