Kelly, K2 to Cards?

HoosierCat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With less than an estimated $3 million to spend under the salary cap, the Bengals spent the weekend sticking to their plan of not pursuing other players and prepared to counter the Cardinals’ moves on Kelly and Kaesviharn.

This gets more hilarious by the day.

Less than $3 mm for a .500 team with a 28th ranked defense.

I don't know that the Brown family could run an NFL franchise in a more pathetic fashion.

Then again, I don't even believe Hobson for a minute on his ever-changing and shrinking cap estimates.

I don't know that the Brown family could run an NFL franchise in a more pathetic fashion.

Shame on Mike Brown for opening the offseason with the 10th most cap space in the league. :rolleyes:

Yeah luckily Mike Brown has such a great track record of success, it's hard to argue with his philosophies. It's sheer brilliance. :rolleyes:

BTW they have less than $3mm according to Hobson, and may lose at least 2 premiere starters, and have signed no one. I assume that $7mm will go to Watson, Caleb, Landon and Andrews - all projected to be ST's players or back ups most likely. Woo hoo.

Genius.

Shame on Mike Brown for opening the offseason with the 10th most cap space in the league. :rolleyes:

Yeah luckily Mike Brown has such a great track record of success, it's hard to argue with his philosophies. It's sheer brilliance. :rolleyes:

BTW they have less than $3mm according to Hobson, and may lose at least 2 premiere starters, and have signed no one. I assume that $7mm will go to Watson, Caleb, Landon and Andrews - all projected to be ST's players or back ups most likely. Woo hoo.

Genius.

Yeah, Bengals players don't count, do they? <_<

I don't give half a crap about Mike Brown's "track record of success." Everything that happened in 1994 is completely irrelevant. Try to assess the present situation with what is happening in the present.

This gets more hilarious by the day.

I agree. Nothing is funnier than listening to you whine about how much you hate certain players, including Kelly and K2, and then a minute later listen to you whine about how they may sign elsewhere.

It must be the best of both worlds for a guy like you.

The latest from Hobson:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5914

RK & K2 are in AZ. Suggests if the Bengals need to or choose to counter offers they may need to create more cap space by cutting or redoing JT's deal.

Wait - we can resign KK and Reggie AND get rid of Thornton? Where do I sign up? How would it affect our cap space if we just dump JT in the river?

Shame on Mike Brown for opening the offseason with the 10th most cap space in the league
With less than an estimated $3 million to spend under the salary cap, the Bengals spent the weekend sticking to their plan of not pursuing other players and prepared to counter the Cardinals’ moves on Kelly and Kaesviharn.

Ok, wait. So the Bengals had the 10th most cap space, they haven't resigned a single player or signed a free agent other than franchising Smith, they've released Brian Simmons and let Tory James, Eric Steinbach, and Marcus Wilkins go, and yet Hobson says they have less than three million to spend.

Less than three million ... not just to spend on free agents, but to resign our current players as well???

Methinks something is not right here.

A little more on RK from Curnutte, who caught him before he headed to AZ:

He was back from Atlanta, where he received a contract offer from the Falcons. He was leaving his Tristate home for the airport for a flight to Arizona to meet with the Cardinals. Then he was going from Phoenix to Oakland to meet with the Raiders.

So he has an offer from Atlanta, is in AZ now, and from there headed to Oakland.

And we know the bengals don't do bidding wars. :(

The latest from Hobson:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5914

RK & K2 are in AZ. Suggests if the Bengals need to or choose to counter offers they may need to create more cap space by cutting or redoing JT's deal.

Wait - we can resign KK and Reggie AND get rid of Thornton? Where do I sign up? How would it affect our cap space if we just dump JT in the river?

I would add Bryan Robinson to the list of player getting released along with Thornton. That would atleast free up around $7 million. Who is making these stupid deals for players that are just average to below average?

I would add Bryan Robinson to the list of player getting released along with Thornton. That would atleast free up around $7 million. Who is making these stupid deals for players that are just average to below average?

Like I wrote elsewhere, a lot of it represents money that, by rule, has to be spent. The salary cap is $109 million; the minimum league payroll that every team has to meet is around $96 million. So any team that was more than $13 million under the cap has money they absolutely, positively have to spend...even if there's nothing to spend it on.

Per askthecommish.com, as of Jan 3, 23 of the 32 teams were more than $13 million under the cap. Five clubs -- the Bills, Browns, Titans, Niners and Cards -- were $20 million or more short of the minimum. That's $100 million that has to be spent right there, regardless of the quality of player. Another 11 teams, including the Bengals, had about $10 million to $20 million they likewise had to spend just to get to the minimum payroll. (The Bengals did so by paying Geathers and tagging Smith.) Throw in the seven other teams that had $1-10m or so to spend, and basically you are looking at $300 million that has to find its way into players' pockets this offseason -- regardless of whether they are worth it or not.

Another TE deal...$3.5m/year & $7m guaranteed for Shiancoe, who is no great shakes. Reggie's gonna score (huh-huh huh-huh).

Vikings | Shiancoe contract numbers

Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:19:49 -0800

Updating a previous item, Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports TE Visanthe Shiancoe's contract with the Minnesota Vikings is a five-year contract worth about $18 million, including $7 million in guarantees.

e, they haven't resigned a single player or signed a free agent other than franchising Smith,

Robert Geathers? 6 RFA's? 2 2nd rnd tenders RFA's + our rookie pool?

Geathers was an extension at the end of the season, IIRC. I'm not taking the rookie pool into account. I forgot about the RFA tenders.

A pass-catching tight end who was regulated to duty behind SHOCKEEEEEEEEEEEEEY ... er, Shockey.

Suggests if the Bengals need to or choose to counter offers they may need to create more cap space by cutting or redoing JT's deal.

That just suggests to me that the team was completely unprepared for the free agency period. You'd think they'd do something like this before when "targets" were still available. I'm only saying that because I believe the team removed itself from the sweepstakes knowing they didn't have the money to sign some players -- i.e., their own.

That just suggests to me that the team was completely unprepared for the free agency period.

They usually are. There are several things I'm scratching my head over. Like, why did we cut Simmons? What did they need his cap space for? Or, why is Larson an RFA? He's a bloody punter, for heaven's sake! Give him something like $10m over 7 years with a few million of it SB, and he's done and you've gained a few hundred K in cap space. That ought to have been done months age. Why did we let all our TEs go into FA? You knew it was going to be a big bucks year -- anyone who could count could see that. Etc, etc.

I dunno fellas...pretty much sounds like the Benglas are doing exactly what Marv said they would do and go after their own. Cutting B-Simms gave them some cap but if K2 and Kelly are in line to cash in like so many other 2nd tier players have done so far, I'd rather see the Bengals move on. Where talking about losing a dime defensive back/backup safety and a blocking TE. How the hell hard is it to replace that?

I dunno about cutting Thornton and B-Rob. The 1 thing that ain't broke is the Bengals run D. I'd rather not see them try to fix it. And who with anyway? Monte Reagor? Aubrayo Franklin? Tyoka Jackson? Al Wallace?

Maybe something better comes up but the Bengals aren't in bad shape right now. There really wasn't much worth going after in free agency anyway.

I dunno fellas...pretty much sounds like the Benglas are doing exactly what Marv said they would do and go after their own. Cutting B-Simms gave them some cap but if K2 and Kelly are in line to cash in like so many other 2nd tier players have done so far, I'd rather see the Bengals move on. Where talking about losing a dime defensive back/backup safety and a blocking TE. How the hell hard is it to replace that?

I dunno about cutting Thornton and B-Rob. The 1 thing that ain't broke is the Bengals run D. I'd rather not see them try to fix it. And who with anyway? Monte Reagor? Aubrayo Franklin? Tyoka Jackson? Al Wallace?

Someone signed Franklin, just FYI, I forget who. My question about Simmons was one of timing. If they had a deal in place with, say, Kelly and needed the space, then you do the deal, cut Brian, and move on. But they cut him, they say for cap reasons...and then nada. Heck, I belive that if you a do a deal that temporarily puts you over the cap, you have like 48 hours to make cuts to get back under it. So...why cut Simmons? Sure, maybe he was making more than he ought to have been, maybe his play was declining, but our LB corps right now is junk, and the next two most-experienced guys after him are RFAs. Their return seems likely but not yet certain.