On to the next step

BZBot

That's a wrap for this season, but the lessons are still there.

Source: http://www.bengalszone.com/article.php?sid=489

PITIFUL

Giving up on the season after week 9 sucks.

Grow some nads

I heartily agree! :blowup2: Thoughts like this after only 9 weeks are ludicrous. We are not winless or even at the bottom of the league. Might we miss the playoffs? Yes. Might we make the playoffs? Yes. There are still 7 games left that will define the season. This team is confronting the toughest schedule in the NFL, dealing with all the off field issues and struggling with key injuries in critical areas. The season is NOT over and this team has not shown any signs of quitting.

So quit :wine: ing, :crybaby: !

:bengal: up!

It amazes me that after 15 years of futility, the Bengals have finally have one good year and people start jumping off the bandwagon chanting "Next Year is the Year". This kind of nonsence is reserved for the fair weather fans, not the loyalists!!

There is to much football to be played and the Bengals are still in the playoff hunt. If you jump off the bandwagon now, becareful as it will be tough getting back on.

I heartily agree! :blowup2: Thoughts like this after only 9 weeks are ludicrous. We are not winless or even at the bottom of the league. Might we miss the playoffs? Yes. Might we make the playoffs? Yes. There are still 7 games left that will define the season. This team is confronting the toughest schedule in the NFL, dealing with all the off field issues and struggling with key injuries in critical areas. The season is NOT over and this team has not shown any signs of quitting.

So quit :wine: ing, :crybaby: !

:bengal: up!

OK, they're 4-5 in a conference in which 9-7 didn't make it last year. 10-6 will be necessary to make the playoffs. They can lose one more game if they want to get into the playoffs, 2 games knocks them out, so they need to go 6-1 from here on out. That means 4-1 agains the Saints, Ravens, Colts, Broncos, and Steelers, even granting that they take care of business (2-0 against the Raiders and Brownies). They'll be dogs in every one of those games except possibly the Steeler game.

If I were Vegas, I'd give the Bengals odds of somewhere above 15:1 of making the playoffs, just based on math and schedule. Taking into account that they've been falling apart and you can increase it from there. Believe me, 15:1 is generous.

That's not whining, that's just facts. You'll realize that once you get past the denial stage of loss. Sure I hope they do the improbable and pull it off, but realistically it probably isn't happening. I'll still watch the games and pull for them, but I'm too much of a realist to dissociate myself from the reality of this situation. The fact is they needed to beat teams like Tampa and win games when you lead by 21 if they want to make the playoffs, with the schedule they have.

You guys are missing the point. They have underachieved all year, and I'm not buying the instant turnaround. On top of their schedule. It's not like I want them to not make the playoffs. I'm just saying the expectations for this year are gone. You can make the pain last for as long as you like.

Being realistic is NOT "jumping off of the bandwagon."Some of us aren't blind homers.

I'm still rooting for my team.I still go the the games and cheer.But expecting people to think all is well in Bengaldom,and you're a pathetic fan if you think otherwise is unrealistic,and does not make you any better a fan than I am.

I still want them to win,and I still want them to make the playoffs.But until that stinking,rotting,putrid,festering excuse of a defense shows some signs of life,I just don't see it happening.

That observation makes me no less a fan than those that would think otherwise.It simply means that I can watch,observe,and evaluate.

Man, am I glad some of you guys dont play for the Bengals. 4-5 and still in the playoff hunt and a lot of you

say that the season is over. I sure as hell hope the players dont have your negative, quitting, loser attitude.

Some of you say you are "just being realistic" thats BS. The reality is that this season is by no means over,

as we still have a shot. Sure it might not be easy, but I cant see the Jets making the playoffs, and the Jags,

and Chiefs have tough remaining schedules as well, not to mention Tony Gonzalez will definately miss this

week and maybe more with a shoulder injury. Who's to say the other teams will win out, or not have key

injuries?

THE REALITY IS.....THERE ARE STILL 7 GAMES LEFT TO BE PLAYED....AND THOSE WHO SAY THIS SEASON IS OVER, ARE JUST A BUNCH OF QUITTERS....I AM SICK AND DAMN TIRED OF ALL THE "SO-CALLED" FANS WHO ARE ALREADY LOOKING TO NEXT YEAR......TAKE YOUR QUITTING(HALFWAY THROUGH THE SEASON) LOSER ATTITUDE SOMEWHERE ELSE......

Man, am I glad some of you guys dont play for the Bengals. 4-5 and still in the playoff hunt and a lot of you

say that the season is over. I sure as hell hope the players dont have your negative, quitting, loser attitude.

Some of you say you are "just being realistic" thats BS. The reality is that this season is by no means over,

as we still have a shot. Sure it might not be easy, but I cant see the Jets making the playoffs, and the Jags,

and Chiefs have tough remaining schedules as well, not to mention Tony Gonzalez will definately miss this

week and maybe more with a shoulder injury. Who's to say the other teams will win out, or not have key

injuries?

THE REALITY IS.....THERE ARE STILL 7 GAMES LEFT TO BE PLAYED....AND THOSE WHO SAY THIS SEASON IS OVER, ARE JUST A BUNCH OF QUITTERS....I AM SICK AND DAMN TIRED OF ALL THE "SO-CALLED" FANS WHO ARE ALREADY LOOKING TO NEXT YEAR......TAKE YOUR QUITTING(HALFWAY THROUGH THE SEASON) LOSER ATTITUDE SOMEWHERE ELSE......

No one's quitting.Try reading and comprehending.I've never said the season was over...I stated we will not make the playoffs with the defense playing at it's current level,which happens to be stinking.I want them to make the playoffs.I'm a season ticket holder,and have been following them since 1980.I was there through the 15 year dark era when I had to find a bar willing to show them just to see the game,so I'll feel any damn way I feel like.If you don't like my ability to perceive reality,well that's your problem.

But,hey,if you think that everything's fine and we are on a roll,so be it.Far be it from me to interrupt your fantasy.

You guys are missing the point. They have underachieved all year, and I'm not buying the instant turnaround. On top of their schedule. It's not like I want them to not make the playoffs. I'm just saying the expectations for this year are gone. You can make the pain last for as long as you like.

While true that the Bengals have underachieved this season, they are not that far off. They have lost 5 games, 4 of those losses the Bengals have had the ball on the final possession with a chance to tie or win the game. The other game was a one point game in the 4th quarter and impending 4th quarter collapse. Maybe no one wants to hear this, but the battle for the final wild card spot in the AFC is wide open and it's a four team race, and not one of those teams are better than Cincy is. All four teams have issues, and the Bengals are 1 game behind them. I myself think the Bengals can jump the Jets, Jags and Chiefs. And then in the playoffs anything can happen, look at last season's sixth seed.

Reality...4 of our losses are by 8 points or less(TD and 2pt conv)

so the Defense doesnt have to be perfect,just give up 1 less TD

Reality..our Offense dropped 41 points on what was the #2 rated defense in the NFL.

Reality...the only teams left on our schedule who have a higher scoring offense than we do are Indy(27.7) and New Orleans(25.4)

Reality...KC(5-4) just lost Tony Gonzalez(their top receiver) to a shoulder injury.

Reality...Jacksonville and KC have tough remaining schedules, and the Jags (and soon KC) have a QB controversy.

maybe Sox,it is your perception of "reality" that is a little warped.

If I was a quitter I wouldn't be sitting in front of my TV for 3 hours this coming Sunday and watch 1 part of the team play excellent, the rest fall short and then hear that they are the greatest players that ever put on a uniform. I am frustrated and disappointed beyond belief and I have a right to be disgusted.

If I was a quitter I wouldn't be sitting in front of my TV for 3 hours this coming Sunday and watch 1 part of the team play excellent, the rest fall short and then hear that they are the greatest players that ever put on a uniform. I am frustrated and disappointed beyond belief and I have a right to be disgusted.

Allow me to clarify 1 thing...my comment was to those who say that this season is done, and who are already making suggestions for next season, while there are still 7 games to play, sorry, but thats a quitter. I never mentioned any names, so dont think that you need to defend yourself by saying that you are not a quitter. I am just tired of people talking about "Next Season" and "who we should draft" when we(and the other teams vying for the playoffs) still have 7 games left to play.

Fine I'm a quitter, but I'll tell you what. At least I've gotten that sick feeling of knowing the season is over with already. If you want to wait until they are mathematically eliminated then go ahead. I was looking at the Charger game as the one that would propel them to 5 straight. The schedule is still deadly. I am glad I can watch the rest of the games stress free knowing that either.

A. Their draft position improves

B. The Bengals go on a ridiculous run and squeek in the playoffs.

The point is that I don't expect A, so I can relax. I'm conceding. Fight on Bengal brethren.

All right, walzav! :cheers: I throught it would take at least six losses before the Great Debate Over Who's a Real Fan & What You're Allowed to Think If You Are a Real Fan rekindled. But it appears we've named that tune in just 5 "L's"!

For the uninitated, the great "real fan" debate was a perennial message board classic during the Lost Decade. Each year, as the Bengals' piled up losses, fans would begin to call each other names depending on how they saw the fortunes of the team. Fans who saw the season and playoffs as a lost cause were worthless bandwagoneers not fit to wear stripes. Fans who held on to hope despite all evidence were dismissed as "lemmings" and "sheepole" who continued to reward a broken franchise with their loyalty and money.

It is, of course, one of, if not the single stupidest message board debates of all time -- but nonetheless it appears like clockwork when Cincy losses pile up.

I, for one, would say we skip it this time around. Why indulge in blaming this or that faction of fandom, when we can take it to the next level and blame the guy who's fault it really is... :huh:

But I suppose that will take a 6th or perhaps even 7th win. Still, WTF, we're running ahead of schedule so I may as well kick it off:

The Bengals would be 9-0 right now if that cheap bastige Mike Brown had paid for an indoor practice bubble!!! :lmao:

All right, walzav! :cheers: I throught it would take at least six losses before the Great Debate Over Who's a Real Fan & What You're Allowed to Think If You Are a Real Fan rekindled. But it appears we've named that tune in just 5 "L's"!

For the uninitated, the great "real fan" debate was a perennial message board classic during the Lost Decade. Each year, as the Bengals' piled up losses, fans would begin to call each other names depending on how they saw the fortunes of the team. Fans who saw the season and playoffs as a lost cause were worthless bandwagoneers not fit to wear stripes. Fans who held on to hope despite all evidence were dismissed as "lemmings" and "sheepole" who continued to reward a broken franchise with their loyalty and money.

It is, of course, one of, if not the single stupidest message board debates of all time -- but nonetheless it appears like clockwork when Cincy losses pile up.

I, for one, would say we skip it this time around. Why indulge in blaming this or that faction of fandom, when we can take it to the next level and blame the guy who's fault it really is... :huh:

But I suppose that will take a 6th or perhaps even 7th win. Still, WTF, we're running ahead of schedule so I may as well kick it off:

The Bengals would be 9-0 right now if that cheap bastige Mike Brown had paid for an indoor practice bubble!!! :lmao:

Well said! Just like the EXCELLENT Moderator that you are!

:lol:

I know what the real problem is. It's a conspiracy against the Bengals because Mike Brown voted against the new CBA and gave them hell when it came to electing Roger Goodell the new commish. Thanks Mikey. :cheers:

Yes. Thank you it is nice, but overall it's an individual choice. It has nothing to do with being a lemming or a band-wagon hopper. I am a Bengal expert. That's a fact. Remember the Bruce Colset 7-2 finish? 1-7 to start the next year, but wait! Who can forget the return of Boomer that same year and the emergence of Corey Dillon? A magical 6-2 finish, just wait until Boomer and the boys return. Oh yeah. The Bengals can't give the big money to Boomer they have to bring in the great Neil O'Donnell!!!!! OOps 3-13 the next season. The point is that this years team got cocky from top to bottom, and they have a great nucleus and a great coach. Here's what will happen. They will lose to the Saints and Browns and then win their next 4 to tease you and lose at home to the Steelers. Guess what that is? 8-8 and hope for next year. Next year if they draft high character himgh impact guys. Superbowl!!!

I, for one, would say we skip it this time around.

And if we can't let's at least put a new spin on it because I'm tired of being called a lemming or a diehard. So with a tip of the cap towards the "Simpsons" I suggest we divides ourselves into two warring camps.

Under one flag we'll have the happy go lucky "Blind Homers".

Under another flag we can have the bar glass is half empty "Moe is We" crowd.

And those fans who can't decide which camp they belong in shall be known as "Maggie-pies" and must remain silent during all us-versus-them rants.

Let the stupidity begin.